• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cwahine

What is the name of your state? California
Someone asked me to rent a room from them for $900 a month for one year. A week later the property changed to another address and the rent went down to $675. The lease term also moved from one year to two years, or so I am told. I did not sign any lease and make plans to move in under these terms. I am not and have never lived in either of the properties. The landlord is threatening to sue me for the $675 and $25 a day for everyday they do not have someone renting the room. Do they have a leg to stand on in small claims court?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? California
Someone asked me to rent a room from them for $900 a month for one year. A week later the property changed to another address and the rent went down to $675. The lease term also moved from one year to two years, or so I am told. I did not sign any lease and make plans to move in under these terms. I am not and have never lived in either of the properties. The landlord is threatening to sue me for the $675 and $25 a day for everyday they do not have someone renting the room. Do they have a leg to stand on in small claims court?
It doesn't sound like it, based only on what you posted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">