• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forced to recovery...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

looktoSoleil

forced to recovery...in need of answers

What is the name of your state? California

My parents i trying to put me in, in-patient recovery for anorexia.
I've already been there twice before, relapsed the first time. Failed to recover the second.
I've come to realize there is no getting better for me, recovery is hell. I do NOT wanna go.
Is their anyway possible, i can be liable to choose my own fate in this? I don't want to be fully emancipated, i love my family and i want to live with them. I can provide for myself, and i'm willing to sever ties with their money if thats what they insist. But i want to have control of my health. Help?

Last edited:

quincy

In order to have control over your health, you need to learn how to be healthy. Your family wants you alive. Let them take care of you now, so that you will be alive to take care of yourself later.

fairisfair

honey, recovery isn't hell. It's the road to recovery that is. and the alternative.

They don't care about the money. They love you.

looktoSoleil

But, let's suppose all health issues, mentality wise, are put aside. Is there any way i can gain control of my physical health decision?

CdwJava

I would think that a medical treatment facility is going to be reluctant to treat a reluctant patient - minor or not.

What do you think the alternatives are?

Do you KNOW what can happen to you as a result of your bulimia or anorexia?

As far as emancipation, I gotta tell you that the odds are against you ... almost NO ONE who applies ever gets it - especially if your parents oppose it.

WHY would emancipation be in your best interest?

How would you support yourself without the support of government aid or family?

How will you finish school?

Do you have any idea how much it costs to be out on your own? Rent, utilities, food, toiletries, STUFF .. what if you get sick?

There are a lot of things to be considered. Being emancipated doesn't mean you just get to live on your own, it means you'd have to play grown up ... but you still couldn't have sex. It is also next to impossible to obtain.

Why do you want to control your health when YOU having that control will very likely end up in your illness or death? THAT will not look good to a judge when considering emancipation ... self-destructive behavior and lack of follow-through or willpower are NOT indicia of maturity.

- Carl

looktoSoleil

I would think that a medical treatment facility is going to be reluctant to treat a reluctant patient - minor or not.

What do you think the alternatives are?

Do you KNOW what can happen to you as a result of your bulimia or anorexia?

As far as emancipation, I gotta tell you that the odds are against you ... almost NO ONE who applies ever gets it - especially if your parents oppose it.

WHY would emancipation be in your best interest?

How would you support yourself without the support of government aid or family?

How will you finish school?

Do you have any idea how much it costs to be out on your own? Rent, utilities, food, toiletries, STUFF .. what if you get sick?

There are a lot of things to be considered. Being emancipated doesn't mean you just get to live on your own, it means you'd have to play grown up ... but you still couldn't have sex. It is also next to impossible to obtain.

Why do you want to control your health when YOU having that control will very likely end up in your illness or death? THAT will not look good to a judge when considering emancipation ... self-destructive behavior and lack of follow-through or willpower are NOT indicia of maturity.

- Carl
When it is a actual psychiatric hospital, they don't deny reluctant patients. This is not a clinic for eating disorders. It's a ward for mental illnesses. They'll just stick a tube up my nose and call it a day.

The other opinion is, to run away. But i've gone down that path before, it's not satisfactory. It does not help a thing.

Of course i know what can happen, but as in all things, results may vary.

Well, i don't need and or want full emancipation. I just want health. But i know the odds are against, that is why i am asking if anyone knows any loop holes. I've tried looking for it, but i could not find anything. I found plenty on how to have guardianship of an adults health. But nothing on the other end.

Like i said, it's not entirely in my best interest, but it is an extreme measure. That might need to be taken if all else fails.

I have many jobs, besides i do not want full emancipation, unless the government or family finds it absolutely needed.

I would have no problem finishing school. With or without my parents roof over my head.

I know. I am young, but i am not entirely naive.

I am not looking to party. I've taken all these things into consideration.

I can't explain this. No one would understand, the lack of self control and willpower lies within food itself. That is what i can't convince people, and i'm guessing the judge. Is that i'm better off like this,otherwise i'd be a useless vile human being with no ambition. I would not do anything grand in life. I would not amount to anything, i would live and die a lazy, fat,gluttonous human being. Nowhere near Nirvana.

Also, i've heard that you can have a certain amount of control over your health depending on your weight, the higher it is to average the more lenient the government is. Also, depending on your school and criminal records.

CdwJava

Do you have the money to hire an attorney to take you to court for the SOLE purpose of allowing you this medical decision? A decision which is likely contrary to your health needs.

I have never heard of "emancipation" for medical decisions only. And unless you graduated law school when in junior high, I doubt you're going to find out how to do it yourself.

Perhaps if you tried to accept the treatment insitead of fighting it ...??

- Carl

Get on google and look for different medical treatment facilities in your area that specialize in eating disorders, print off the information, call the facilities and see if they will send you information packets. (most places like this are more than happy to help you find information on recovery) Then sit down with your parents and show them that you are trying to become healthier (even though it seems you don't want to get better, which is hard for me to see because I've known and lost people with anorexia), they may be willing to send you to a different facility after knowing you have spent the time to search for different possiblities of treatment.

I agree with everyone else, you should not be incontrol of your health if you can not be healthy. You are making yourself sick, it is a disease and I would be blown away if any judge would allow you to make choices about your health. The fact that you do have the health and mental issues you do, no one will be able to tell you if can gain control of your physical health. You have had control of it, with the anorexia, and you are killing yourself slowly.

I know there is nothing worse than having your parents telling you what to do (especially at 15, because every 15 year old thinks they know everything) but your parents are just doing what is best for you. The facility you keep going to may not be the best for you, but your parents have the best of intentions. So sit down with your parents and tell them you want help (and I hope you will consider wanting help because anorexia is a terrible disease and your body will begin to shut down if you don't get healthy) and show them different places YOU have research... they may be more willing to treat you like an adult, if you will show some responsablity for this terrible disease.

I wish you nothing but the best. I hope you can over come it and become healthy, not just for your parents but for yourself... you are selling yourself short on a great life you should have ahead of you. You will be in and out of hospitals for the rest of your life if you don't beat this disease now. You are young and seem like you have a good head on your shoulders (despite the anorexia) so don't worry about how to run away or how to gain control over your health.. listen to your parents (because it sounds like they love you very much) and get yourself healthy. Good luck!

Last edited:
If there is Emancipation over health/treatment choices... there would never be a judge that would grant it so that a child could, essentially, kill themself. Save themself, perhaps.. but never kill themself. (i.e. a child who would prefer blood products or other treatments when parents' religion/beliefs prohibit certain treatment... as opposed to what your requesting)

... I can't explain this. No one would understand, the lack of self control and willpower lies within food itself. That is what i can't convince people, and i'm guessing the judge. Is that i'm better off like this,otherwise i'd be a useless vile human being with no ambition. I would not do anything grand in life. I would not amount to anything, i would live and die a lazy, fat,gluttonous human being. Nowhere near Nirvana...
These are the ramblings of a mentally disturbed person in need of psychiatric intervention to save their life. I commend your parents for taking the initiative to have you treated.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I can't explain this. No one would understand, the lack of self control and willpower lies within food itself. That is what i can't convince people, and i'm guessing the judge. Is that i'm better off like this,otherwise i'd be a useless vile human being with no ambition. I would not do anything grand in life. I would not amount to anything, i would live and die a lazy, fat,gluttonous human being. Nowhere near Nirvana.
This has to be one of the saddest things I've read in a long time.

Sweetheart.... your parents are trying their best to get you the help you truly need. While it doesn't sound like it's the best place they want to place you in, the only other option is to become a full partner in your recovery. You will not be emancipated to make medical decisions, because at this point you truly are incompetent to do so. If you want a chance at making those decisions, you need to show that you're competent. DO the research someone suggested up-thread. Provide your parents with other, reasonable, alternatives. Make the decision to become healthy.

I rarely say this, but.... God bless. Don't throw away the gift He gave you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">