• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Personal Loan, Different States

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dun

What is the name of your state? NY

I live in NY, my brother lives in North Carolina. About two months ago, he emailed me and asked me for a loan of $2400. I emailed him back and said yes, then mailed him out a check. I wrote in the memo of the check that it was indeed a loan. We did not have any type of contract, i.e., indicating how long he had to pay it back, but he knows that I had some important things to pay for by the end of this month/beginning of January. A few days ago, I asked for the loan back, even just part of it and he said that he didn't have it. Then things turned ugly and he cussed me and told me that he wasn't paying it back, period, and "to do what I gotta to do" as far as taking him to court. So here I am.

I was thinking of using one of those services that do all of the footwork, then all I have to do is show up for the court date. What do you think of these services?

My evidence is the copy of the cashed check that came with the bank statement, his email asking for the loan, another two emails of him saying he'd pay it back, then another email of him saying that he wasn't paying anything back.

As the loaner, don't I have a right to ask for repayment of the loan whenever I see fit? His argument is that he never said WHEN he'd pay it back anyway. This doesn't seem right.

Any advice please? (besides don't loan money to friends or relatives:mad:)

ThankzWhat is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">