• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate owes money -- Small Claims time??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

musicfire

What is the name of your state? WISCONSIN

So back in May, my roommate was having financial troubles, so being the nice guy I am, I offered to cover his rent, utilities, etc. until he could get back on his feet financially...

Fast-forward to November...

Roommate STILL owes me $340, and I get wind that him and my other roommate are moving out at the end of December...luckily he was having problems paying back his druglords (which is his only job, by the way), so I had him sign a contract saying he'll pay me by December 21st in full, or else 5% interest is tacked onto the full amount everyday until the full debt is paid (and he signed it).

I fully intend him to pay, but what do I do if he decides NOT TO? Should I be in Small Claims court on the 22nd (especially with Christmas coming)?? What are the necessary steps I need to take in order to get my money back?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You may not be able to collect the 5% per day (google usury). But, feel free to sue in small claims court for what he actually owes you.

BoredAtty

If he doesn't pay you on the 21st, you can sue to get your money. That said, you cannot legally charge 5% interest per day (Tony Soprano wouldn't even charge that much!), nor will you be in court on the 22nd. You'll need to file a complaint, have the roommate served, and wait for the court date. It may take a couple of months before you're in front of a judge.

musicfire

If he doesn't pay you on the 21st, you can sue to get your money. That said, you cannot legally charge 5% interest per day (Tony Soprano wouldn't even charge that much!), nor will you be in court on the 22nd. You'll need to file a complaint, have the roommate served, and wait for the court date. It may take a couple of months before you're in front of a judge.
I'm fine with dropping the interest -- should have probably looked into that before...maybe it was just frustration...what's the process for small claims? I've never had to do any of this before...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">