• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should we be concerned??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

River525

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My mom died unexpectantly and her attorney is the executor of her estate and she named my daughter as the beneficiary. We are not knowledgable in how everything works, per se, and are beginning to feel very vunerable in trusting his suggestions, etc. In other words who is watching him?? :confused:

He discusses issues only with my daughter which I understand but is telling her she should sell the fur coats, cars, etc. and she has no idea on what she wants to do. My daughter is just 22 and still grieving from my mom dying so suddenly. My mom was quite wealthy and had no debt when she died. The will states that at the age of 30 my daughter will receive the proceeds. I just dont want to see my daughter be taken advantage of by the attorney/executor and I am just concerned b/c my health is not good and since it is just the two of us I want to make dern sure she is receiving the best legal advice, etc.

Is there anything we or she can do? For instance, should she ask for a list of the jewelry with appraisals that we know are in her grandmother's lockbox? Also can the executor sell her grandmother's car without asking my daughter or can she try and sell it herself? How do we know he is asking the right amount for the car? And if he sells the car, does she get the money or does he have to put it back in the trust fund?

Any advice would be appreciated. thank you....

BlondiePB

My mom died unexpectantly and her attorney is the executor of her estate and she named my daughter as the beneficiary. We are not knowledgable in how everything works, per se, and are beginning to feel very vunerable in trusting his suggestions, etc. In other words who is watching him?? :confused:
The executor reports to the court. To understand the probate process, pick up a book and read about it. Barnes & Noble sells them.
He discusses issues only with my daughter which I understand but is telling her she should sell the fur coats, cars, etc. and she has no idea on what she wants to do. My daughter is just 22 and still grieving from my mom dying so suddenly. My mom was quite wealthy and had no debt when she died. The will states that at the age of 30 my daughter will receive the proceeds. I just dont want to see my daughter be taken advantage of by the attorney/executor and I am just concerned b/c my health is not good and since it is just the two of us I want to make dern sure she is receiving the best legal advice, etc.
The proceeds will be placed "In Trust" for your daughter.
Is there anything we or she can do? For instance, should she ask for a list of the jewelry with appraisals that we know are in her grandmother's lockbox? Also can the executor sell her grandmother's car without asking my daughter or can she try and sell it herself? How do we know he is asking the right amount for the car? And if he sells the car, does she get the money or does he have to put it back in the trust fund?
You can periodically review the probate file. Probate files are public records. If the will states that the executor can dispose of the property per his discretion, he can sell all the property. All monies will go in trust for your daughter.

When it comes to opening a safety deposit box and doing inventory, the bank will have an officer(s) perform that task in the presence of the executor. Yes, the jewelry must be appraised. All this will be part of the probate file.
Any advice would be appreciated. thank you....
You're welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">