• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Motivation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gusz

What is the name of your state? - New York

My father's assets were held in a living trust, managed by a bank, for about
fifteen years. He died two years ago, and I am one of two beneficiaries of
the will. The will was clear and has not been contested. My problem is that
the bank is executor of the will, and has been unreasonably delaying settlement
of the will and distribution of my inheritance to me. All my attempts to push
for settlement have been met with passive resistance.

I have a lawyer who has explained my legal options, but I have not thus far
initiated court action. My question(s) here is an attempt to understand the
bank's (lack of) motivation.

I suspect that the underlying problem is that the bank is in a conflict of
interest position. Banks borrow money from their depositors, leverage those
deposits as collateral for further borrowing in the financial system, and
lend/invest the larger pool of assets at higher rates. Thus my father's
estate is actually assets held in the bank's name, available for re-lending,
leveraging, meeting reserve requirements, and generally reinvestment to
contribute to the bank's profit objectives.

Are my assumptions valid, or are there flaws in my reasoning? I don't know
much about regulation of bank trust activities, but perhaps there are laws
restricting bank's use of trust assets in a way that makes hanging on to
these assets less attractive. If that's the case I'm at a loss to explain
the bank's behavior - the bank is no longer collecting fees for management
of the assets, which were converted to cash equivalents shortly after my
father's death.

I would like to find a way to apply pressure toward closure without going
to court - partly because I think a court proceeding would be lengthy and
would further delay settlement, and partly because the bank has co-opted
the services of my father's lawyer, who has other business with the bank,
and is charging that lawyer's fees to the estate.

JETX

My question(s) here is an attempt to understand the
bank's (lack of) motivation.
Sorry, but this is a LEGAL ADVICE forum... not a 'why does someone do something' forum.
We simply can't GUESS what motivates someone to do, or not do, something.
Though reasonably talented, we don't do 'tea leaves' well.

Last edited by a moderator:

tranquility

Along with the funds motivation you mention, there is also the direct fees of being trustee/executor which go to the bank. Furthermore, defending the trust goes against the trust assets and the bank can use in-house council. That is, they use lawyers they already are going to pay, but they use trust funds to pay them rather than their own. I *hate* institutional trustees/executors! If Second Amendment nuts want to see what it's really like prying something from one's cold, dead, hands, they should see a person trying to get a trust from a bank.

The advantage of them is that they will probably always be around so it is good to name them a contingent trustee (way down the line) to make sure there will be a trustee if things go bad. Also, they do tend to not cheat and do follow the trust, albeit to their advantage and not the beneficiaries. Glacial slowness is not a bug, it's a feature. The only way to get it from them is to find a breach of fiduciary duty. This is unlikely for the same reasons metioned above.

Sorry for your difficulties. There are sometimes laws on the books which hurry some things, but banks routinely ignore them and you're back to the lawsuit scenario.

My suggestion is to find the guy in charge of your account/trust/estate and send him a fruit basket. Get to know him and he to know you. Operate on a personal level and try to break through the anomyous mass. Do it fast and kiss up hard because banks and other large institutions often change duties of people in such positions fairly often to prevent just what you'd be trying to do.

Otherwise, wait for a breach of fiduciary duty and sue. Don't threaten to sue until you have spoken to an attorney and decided to go for it as once the bank knows, then they are extra-special careful and slow to do things.

Dandy Don

What legal options has your lawyer explained you can take? Is YOUR lawyer the same attorney who is handling your father's estate? Have you seen the actual trust document?

The problem here may be the good ole boy network where the bank is obviously biased in favor of your father's estate attorney and may be stalling just so he can continue to bill for legal fees. What you can do right now is send a certified letter to the bank trustee asking them to please give you an estimated date of when you can expect to be receiving your distribution and whether the distribution from the will and the trust will be made at the same time or independently/separately.

Another classic example of big companies not really caring about the customers they serve.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA

Last edited by a moderator:

gusz

OK, so the legal question is whether there's any laws or
regulations which require the bank to settle the estate
in a given period of time. It's hard to believe the bank is
allowed to hold out indefinitely.

At this point, the taxes have been paid and state and
federal releases received, there are no claims against the
estate other than the two beneficiaries, and the assets are
all in cash equivalents. But if we go into next year, the
estate, being a taxable entity, incurs new tax liabilities,
and the cycle starts again.

I already tried the fruit basket approach, and realized
shortly that the bank's objective was to get me to reinvest
my inheritance with them. And when I wouldn't commit to
that, everything just stopped.

Dandy Don

If a trust beneficiary is over 18 years of age, there is a New York State Law that requires any bank accounts in the trust's name to be paid to the beneficiaries upon their demand. You need to discuss this with an attorney who is not associated with this trust or estate to find out what "their demand" means--I assume it means notification to the trustee by certified letter. If there are other beneficiaries in this trust, try to get their cooperation in signing this letter.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">