• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Faulty Installation Via Home Warranty Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anewist

What is the name of your state? AZ

Hello, I had to replace the HVAC system in a rental property, I believe, due to faulty installation of a compressor. There is a long history of problems with this HVAC, but the last repair person to service it is a contractor from this home warranty company.

I have testimony from 3 independent contractors stating that the previous installation by the home warranty company was faulty and the cause of the need to replace the system.

I am no longer a customer of the home warranty company. They will not give me any documentation on their repair, including any warranty papers on the new compressor they put in, nor any information on the contractor they hired to do the work.

I am concerned about fighting this case because of loopholes:

1. The Registrar of Contractors needs the name / info of a contractor in order to file a complaint, apparently.

2. The AZ Dept of Insurance says that home warranty companies are not by law required to release information about their contractors.

Since I have a tenant in the premises, I've had to replace the HVAC system. However, I have kept the old HVAC system for evidence.

My question: Do you feel I have a case, and if so, where should I start to file a complaint.

Thank you,
Joy

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state? AZ

Hello, I had to replace the HVAC system in a rental property, I believe, due to faulty installation of a compressor. There is a long history of problems with this HVAC, but the last repair person to service it is a contractor from this home warranty company.

I have testimony from 3 independent contractors stating that the previous installation by the home warranty company was faulty and the cause of the need to replace the system.

I am no longer a customer of the home warranty company. They will not give me any documentation on their repair, including any warranty papers on the new compressor they put in, nor any information on the contractor they hired to do the work.

I am concerned about fighting this case because of loopholes:

1. The Registrar of Contractors needs the name / info of a contractor in order to file a complaint, apparently.

2. The AZ Dept of Insurance says that home warranty companies are not by law required to release information about their contractors.What is the name of your state?

Since I have a tenant in the premises, I've had to replace the HVAC system. However, I have kept the old HVAC system for evidence.

My question: Do you feel I have a case, and if so, where should I start to file a complaint.

Thank you,
Joy
I'd start with a complaint with your Local Attorney General's Office of Consumer affairs .

Or at least call and find out how you can obtain those records .

If you sued for the cost incurred you could request the clerk to issue subpoenas for specific records .

I'm curious on what type of HVAC system was installed , how long the sys. was there before replacement , and what were the issues with it .

It's awfully odd to have a HVAC system installed with no warranty or papers to go with it .

anewist

Thank you for your reply, and my apology for the delay in response. Update: I've since resubmitted a complaint to the Board of Insurance and to the AZ Atty Gen Ofc. I am also looking at mediation / arbitration / civil suit, but have not had much response from attys. You would think $4500 in expenses thus far would be enough for an atty to be interested.

Regarding the HVAC system, it was a split system, good quality, but well could have been a lemon. I believe it also had a previous owner who was non-committed / investor, so was not interested in following up with repairs. Repairs done should have been checked on for quality, and this was one of the problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">