• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was caught for credit card fraud-now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikecl

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

When I was 15 I stole someone's credit card number and tried to buy a dvd online. Needless to say i was caught and now it's on my juvinile record. Credit card fraud! :mad: It sounds so bad I can barely say it out loud. It's my only flaw on my recocrd. Nothing else but this. No criminal record. My record is not sealed. I'm 20 and in college for criminal justice. Is all hope lost for getting a job in this field? Will government agencies look at this and not accept me? Should i just quit now? This has been bothering me for so long and I feel so hopeless. Can someone shed light on this? Can someone with the knoledge tell me if this will disqualify me from getting a job as a police officer (for example)?

Respectfully,
Mike

Last edited:

mikecl

Working in the criminal justice field is my dream and i want to follow my dream. I know it's credit card fraud but doesn't the fact that it's juvinile make any difference? I was 15 years old! Do I have a chance? Are you saying with most agencies you can't have a single little thing on your juvinile record? Even with a bachelors from Northeastern?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you have 20 openings, and 1,000 candidates, 800 of whom have a perfectly clean record, even juvenile, why on earth would you pick someone who doesn't?

dhawk52

I am a juvenile probation officer in Texas. I am not familiar with the laws in your state, but in Texas, if the child only has one juvenile misdemeanor, then it is expunged when he/she turns 18. If it is considered a felony or they have multiple adjudications, they can set up a hearing and request that a judge to expunge their record at the age of 21.

Many agencies would not necessarily disqualify you for a offense as a minor, but you should be honest (it is best to talk/report and bear the shame, then to try and hide it and be terminated at a later time).

The Dallas City Police Department is a prime example of a large agency. They are in desperate need of officers (they are offering a $10,000 signing bonus); a friend of mine who is a recruiter is constantly traveling and promoting the department. The Arlington Police Department is/has lost half of its officers over the last few (and next few) years to retirement. They also have a big need for officers as the city is growing and is planning on hosting the super bowl in a few years.

Keep working hard, make good choices and follow your dreams!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">