• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Angry Ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caase

What is the name of your state? CA

Situation, I was in a relationship where we had mutual financial responsibilities, first being a cell phone bill (paid by me for 2 lines), second being credit card debit, she purchased a TV on her credit card and gave it to me. We broke up and I took the TV leaving her with the credit card debit. I also pay the phone bill for both lines (hers and mine), she took herself off the bill. Then she later comes and asks for the money for the tv and I dont have the money to give to her for the tv, she said she is going to take me to small claims to collect the money if I didnt meet her deadline. I obviously missed it, she is now trying to pursue me for the money via small claims.

I am inquiring what my options are, there are some more details that I can fill in but I am inquiring about this first from a few different perspectives, thanks in advance for any help coming my way.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This may sound like a crazy plan, but you could pay the ex for the TV you took...

caase

"Took" was the wrong word that was put into play the tv was a gift explained further down, apologize for that. Paying for the TV was an option but she proceeded to give me a deadline I told her via telephone conversation that I would be able to pay her once I recieve my commision check in a few months. She couldnt wait so she wants to take me to small claims and fight the matter. There are some details that were left out. Lets start from the beginning the TV was purchased on my birthday I thought the gift was a little excessive due to the fact that she had just recently made a purchase of a pair of 1ct diamonds for me.

I told her we can pay for it together since we have been in a relationship things are easier done in a team environment. We had an arrangement(not in writing) after we seperated I would take care of the phone bills instead of transfering money to pay her credit card.

After a few months of this debit started to pile up on my end being that we are no longer throwing our wages together. A month ago she calls verizon wireless and has her name taken off the bill (breaking the agreement) and demands money from me on a certain deadline. The deadline was not met since I could not come up with $2,000.00.
There is a email log of this:

Ex-Girlfriend: "We had an agreement!"
Me: "Yea wat was it again really my mind is in work mode right now I pay phone bill right?"
Ex-Girlfriend: "Did you write it down?"
Me: "490 every 15"
Ex-Girlfriend: "well you can give me 490 every 15th if you want. But you still owe 490 and you pay me at least 100 for the next four months on the 15th. And on the 5th month you pay me 90. Or if you wanna pay me for only four months you would owe me 122.50? Get it?
Me: "Yea got it"

Now knowing that what insight can you propose? Also how does small claims work in lue of this case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">