• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subleaser owes money - what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KatieD04

I was living in Ohio and decided to move back home to New Jersey. My roommate and I found people to take over our lease, legally subleasing but basically paying directly to the apartment complex. Due to the timing, I paid for the rent for the month of December and the woman who took my half of the lease was supposed to bring me a check paying for the days that she would be living there that month - which came to $244. She was to bring it to me the day before I moved; she never showed up. Didn't come the next day, either. I've since left several e-mails and voice mail messages, to no avail. I would like to threaten legal action to recoup my $244, but I don't know how or what action to take.

I have e-mails saved where she agreed to bring the payment on December 7, and copies of my e-mails reminding her to pay me after the fact.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">