• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Konnersmama

What is the name of your state? VA

Almost a year ago BIL borrowed money from us....rather DH (it was behind my back) with the promise of getting all or most back within a month....it's been 10 months and we haven't seen a dome. Neither BIL or SIL work....have 3 children, a mortgage, car payments and weren't even able to buy groceries.....they guilted DH ( we had been asked 4 months prior and we told them no). As I said, neither one work....they are "Stay at home PARENTS"....THIS is important for them.....both are 100% capable of working yet neither one of them do b/c "God will provide"....meaning DH....the rest of the family told them no more. I have no problem helping family, but they have to be helping themselves also....this wasn't the case.
We have proof of them "playing" all day, buying big items (credit card), going on vacations and basically "living it up". I want the money returned....DH and I work hard and I feel like he was taken advantage of (he is easily guilted when it comes to his family). BIL/SIL act as if we never gave them anything and have made no attempts to repay us.
Do we have a case? I want to take them to small claims....but the "verbal contract" was between BIL and DH....he's afraid of going to court b/c it's "family".
Thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
DH would have to sue because you have no contract with them. Even verbal. And then even if you get a judgment how are you going to collect since they own nothing?

Konnersmama

I had a feeling it could only be DH taking them to court.....
I wish they'd sell some of their big ticket items to start paying us back....I guess I just wish they'd do the right thing....
But thanks again for answering:)

Dandy Don

How much money was borrowed?

If there is nothing in writing to prove that it was a loan, there is not a chance in heck of winning this case in court.

Konnersmama

Don....a few thousand ( taken our of our savings acct)....the only thing we have is several emails asking for the loan and a "promise" of repayment within a month....DH didn't think they'd hold up in court (I don't know why)....
So I guess we have a little more than verbal between them:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">