• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ronvincent

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

My mother has a trust set up and her lawyer is also the executor of the will. My mother, sister and I feel there is no need for and executor since my sister and I get along well and have a 50/50 share of my mothers estate.
My question is, what is the general % of the estate taken by the executor? If everything is in order is it really necessary to have an executor?

Thanks

tranquility

An executor is necessary to transfer the property to the proper parties. It does not have to be an attorney, it could be either you or your sister.

curb1

Take the lawyer out of the picture. My Uncle had the same situation that you suggest. The attorney charged $30,000 to distribute the funds from a revocable trust (that he set up). The assets were almost all in cash assets, no real estate. It was a total waste of money. If you need advice do it by the hour, or with an accountant by the hour.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">