• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract party refuses to perform. Home audio/video system

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AubieTigerBham

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I executed a contract in June, 2006 with a contractor to install a home audio / video system. The work commenced in December 2006 as my house was being completed. Work was to be completed by early January.

I have 2 major problems:

1) The installation is incomplete.
2) Some items will not and cannot perform as promised.

What are my options for recourse?

I have been in constant communication with them - they just refuse to return my calls and demand letters.

The system was is excess of $25,000.00.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

tranquility

You can sue them for the difference between what was expected and what was received.

The suit will be very hard in regards to damages. The measurement will not be what you expected, but what a reasonable person would have expected from the agreement. Even then, damage measurement will be very difficult.

Also, since the amount was so large, I assume they installers have a license of some sort. You could file a complaint with the state board (probably for contractors) and make your allegations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">