• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this cable theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spyder363

Recently the company that manages the house that 30 of my friends and I live have changed our lease so that we are required to provide our own utilities.

I was in charge of this so I went ahead and opened a new account and service. The cable guys came out to the house, setup all the wires so the house was set for service.

Several months pass by and I have still not gotten a single bill for the cable service. I gave them all of my correct information and everything was legitimate.

What I think could have happened:

1. The cable provider is still billing the property management company that has a massive account with the cable provider. The ~$400/mo bill is being absorbed into their bill that is tens of thousands of dollars a month and no one at the property company remembered to check their bill, but are still paying for it.

2. Somehow the cable provider representative didn't set us up for billing so we might not be in the system?

I am stuck with the decision to call the cable company and find out what is happening. Or whether I should be quiet and accept THEIR mistake of not billing me and take advantage of it. Afterall, I called them and asked for their service, was willing to pay for it, but they have never sent me a bill.

Can I be held legally responsible for "passive cable theft"? What would you do?

CraigFL

I don't know why you wouldn't just call them and straighten it out and pay for the services you have been using.

justalayman

Can I be held legally responsible for "passive cable theft"? What would you do?
Passive hell!. You know you are to be paying for the cable. You know you are not being billed.

Your failure to act is not "passive". You are intentionally not paying the bill so there is no "passive" about it.

jan3663

spyder363

You know as well as I do that if you wait any longer in contacting the cable company the more your going to have to pay. They don't listen to excuses and don't care if your passive or agressively using THEIR cable. Part of me wants to say wait and see what happens let the company that manages the house pay for it for now but somehow someway they will find out and you will pay for their mistake probably with late fees! Call them the sooner the better. Hey better yet go Dirctv, I love it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">