• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Alabama small claims help/advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alabama

Can defamation, slander, libel, fraud, breach of contract and invasion of privacy all be lumped together in a small claims case in AL?

Can the "winner" in AL ask for, and get their legal fees paid by the "loser"?

Can an appeal made in AL small claims for reasons aside from improper legal verdits/reasons? Thanks.

racer72

Can defamation
No.

No.

No.

Maybe.

breach of contract
Maybe

and invasion of privacy all be lumped together in a small claims case in AL?
No.

Small claims allows lawsuits for specific monetary damages only. Things such as libel, defamation, slander and invasion of privacy generally result in arbitary amounts and must be heard by a higher court. Fraud and breach of contract depend on the specifics of the contract.

Can the "winner" in AL ask for, and get their legal fees paid by the "loser"?
Depends. Some specific fees can be collected, others can't.

Can an appeal made in AL small claims for reasons aside from improper legal verdits/reasons?
You can't appeal a small claims court decision in small claims court, the appeal must be made in an circuit court.

I would suggest you talk to a local attorney and discuss the options available to you through your local court system. Copy and paste the below URL for more info.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/small_al.html

To racer72

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

I will check with the local court, an attorney or law library to verify the Alabama laws.

onefrostykat

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">