• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor In Possesion of Buglary tools

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OSTBE

My name is xxxx. i am in Washington State the state law (revised code of washington) states:

"RCW 9A.52.060
Making or having burglar tools.

(1) Every person who shall make or mend or cause to be made or mended, or have in his possession, any engine, machine, tool, false key, pick lock, bit, nippers, or implement adapted, designed, or commonly used for the commission of burglary under circumstances evincing an intent to use or employ, or allow the same to be used or employed in the commission of a burglary, or knowing that the same is intended to be so used, shall be guilty of making or having burglar tools.

(2) Making or having burglar tools is a gross misdemeanor."

Now from what i have read only an adult (persons of 18+ years of age) can serve jail time for a Gross Misdemeanor but what legal implications can be placed on me (16 yrs of age).

I have set of Lock Picks (with no intentions of property burglary) because i am intensly interested in the puzzle of beating the lock and opening a locked door (on my own property my home, shed, doors in home ect.) now no matter what i use them on or with or how i use them it is still by my states legal code (RCW 9A.52.060) a Gross Misdemeanor
and i am very curious if i can be charged with a G.M. as a person of 16 years of age

Thank you to all that reply and help me

--
Thanks for your time

CavemanLawyer

That law says that you have to make or possess it knowing that it is intended to be used for the purpose of burglary. Since you are just using it around your property, you would not be guilty even if caught with these tools clearly in your possession. However, it would not be unreasonable for an officer to arrest you for such possession since these types of tools are not just commonly used for burglary, but in fact are not often used for much else.

The fact that you are not legally an adult does not mean you can't be charged it just means you would be treated in the juvenile system. Punishment usually consists of various levels of probation.

OSTBE

Thank you

Thank you very much for replying as quickly as you did, Your information has been extremely helpful. in regards to your statement about being arrested under suspicion to commit burglary or possesion of burglar tools what would i say to the arresting officer in regards to your first statement.

thanks again for your help.

I became interested in lockpicking several years ago. So I completed a locksmithing course and I am now a certified locksmith. I carry around picks and car opening tools, which I have used for legitimate purposes more than once. I don't go sneaking around other people's houses or cars, so I don't worry about legal issues. In my state (Georgia) the laws are similar to Washington. Possession is only illegal with INTENT to use such items unlawfully.

So my advice is: Don't put yourself in a situation where it might appear that you have intent to use your lockpicks unlawfully. You should probably keep your lockpicks at home, since you are interested primarily in "opening a locked door (on my own property my home, shed, doors in home ect.)" Also, getting a locksmith certification could go a long way to proving that you intend only lawful use of those tools.

OSTBE

Locksmith Certification

I had looked into that but the price is outrages and the only place to do it isnt local im not even sure if at 16 im legally able to be certified. There is online courses but the age if 18 and the cost is also extreme, like i said and you quoted my reason for posession is personal use around the house so i have no reason to worry. But i would still like to get a certification in locksmithing

ErinGoBragh

OSTBE,
My ex had an apprenticeship in locksmithing, and they paid for his course.

Have you asked around to see if anyone in the area would take you on?

Also, I agree with the other posters- don't carry your lockpicks on you away from your property. I used to, but they only came in handy for a lockout one time, and I heard some stories from my ex about times he got hassled for having him on him while he was getting certified. Doesn't seem worth the potential trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">