• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Auto Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guyoverhere2001

This is a Michigan case. 2 yrs ago I purchased a vehicle from my father for $7000. I was to make payments of $500/month for 14 months. The contract was started with the first payment to be due in Jan. of 2006. I completed payments in Feb of 2007. I have documented all of my bank withdrawls as some payments were made with money orders. In Oct. 2007 My father and I got into an arguement, and her took the vehicle and all of my possessions in the vehicle. It took almost a week to get all my things from the vehicle. However, he's claiming that I still owe $1500 for it. Not disputing the $7000, just that I didn't make all the payments. He's now sold the vehicle. I know I can sue, but really, what are my chances, and what else can I sue for. I'm thinking I can sue for wages, (My job requires me to have my own vehicle) compensatory damages, court costs. I'm not sure what else I can sue for. I can also show a direct loss to my business as a result of losing the vehicle.

Also, I sent a certified, registered, letter demanding all my things back and either payment, or return of the vehicle. I gave a specific time to respond he has not.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

guyoverhere2001

Forgot...

Forgot to mention that the title remained, the whole time, in his name. I never really got around to changing it due to the fact that it was my dad, and I wasn't worried about it. Also, I have an e-mail from his mom, (who I was making the payments to) that says that I'm all paid up. Thought you all might like to know.

Thanks again,

Jeff

BL

So you had a verbal contract with your Dad.

Was your verbal agreement also to make the payments to your grandmother ?

Why did you send or give payments to your grandmother ?

Why didn't you get receipts for your payments ?

I'd suggest putting tracers on all your money orders ?

You did keep the receipt stubs ?

You did write on the M/O's what they were used for ?

Also your bank payments , you have proof they were for the auto payments ?

guyoverhere2001

Auto...

Yes the agreement was to make payments to her. We made it like that, because he lives out of his mom's pocket, and is almost otherwise broke. I didn't get receipts for my payments because it was my grandmother and father. I had no reason not to trust them. Plus she was sending me e-mails every month letting me know how much was left. I don't have the stubs for the money orders any longer. They were in the vehicle when he took it. He subsequently stole them from there. I did write on all the money orders and cashiers checks what they were for and who they were to. The bank checks of course I can get copies of.
Anything else? I know I made some really bad decisions, I'm just thinking I didn't totally mess it up.

Jeff

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">