• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Engine Malfunction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ComicChubs

Idaho- I had to replace the engine in my Ford F-150 1986 due to some water damage. I contracted with a mechanic to install a manufactured engine. After picking up the truck he told me to bring it in at 500 miles for an brief engine inspection. When 500 miles hit, his shop was closed for repairs, and I was not able to contact the mechanic. I took it to another local mechanic and told them the situation and they said they would look over everything. They found no leaks and wrote on the invoice the truck was in excellent condition. 200 miles later, the engine suddenly made a noise while I was traveling at 70 miles an hour. I pulled over immediately and steam poured out of the engine area for about 8 minutes. The problem occurred because what appeared to be a good hose, had a crack in it right where it was attached with the hose clamp. I speculate because of over tightening. I took the first mechanic to court, but the Judge told me he can't hold Him responsible with out knowing exactly what kind of inspection the other mechanic did. He told me if I appeal I should prove they just did a brief inspection. Is there any Law about the hose failed on it's own, and that's just too bad, and no ones to blame? I can't imagine that no one can be held responsible unless a chipmunk chewed on the hose. Should I sue the "Jiffy Lube" instead? What do I need to show that it is the first mechanics fault?

racer72

You would have to prove negligence and nothing in your post suggests either mechanic was negligent.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You know that they usually re-use hoses and etc when they install an engine, right? Did the first mechanic specifically say they would be installing new hoses? If the hose was old, it might have just been it's time to go anyway.

Remember, sometimes "stuff" happens.

BL

" Jiffy Lube " ??

If you took it to a Jiffy Lube for a look over , you were negligent in my opinion .

The time for new hoses is when the re-manufactured engine was installed , and if they didn't see a problem ( leak ) , and you didn't tell them to put in new hoses , I agree no one is at fault .

The minute the engine started over heating , it shouldn't have been driven until the problem was fixed .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">