• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ- Small Claims Case Involving Illegal Activity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heydudeitsme

New Jersey:
I gave a friend of mine $300 to purchase something illegal for me. She never got it and now is refusing to pay me back. Is there anything I can do? The way I see it (and I'm no lawyer) all I did was give her $300, she was the one who then used that money to (maybe) make an illegal purchase. I don't know if she can prove that I gave her the money expecting something illegal in return. Should I take this to court, and if so should I play dumb, saying something like "it was just a loan, I didn't know she was going to buy something illegal"? Also, I know she is going out of town for a while and I thought it might be a good idea to schedule the court date while she is gone, what do you think?

Hot Topic

You can't come into court with so called "dirty hands," meaning that you can't go after your "friend," who broke the law by accepting money from you to do something illegal for you. Had the police caught her buying what you wanted, she would have been arrested. Had the police caught you accepting the illegal item(s) from her, you would have been arrested.

Newsflash. When you go to court, you take an oath to tell the truth. And no, they're not going to let you schedule the trial while she's out of town, probably spending the $300.00.

las365

Dang it, Hot Topic, I wanted him to set the trial and let us know when it was so we could all go watch. :(

heydudeitsme

yea I could not care less about the oath, we're talking about weed here not murder, that being said is there anything that I can do?

If I just deny that is was for something illegal, and she has no proof what would happen?

Also how would they stop me from scheduling it when she is out of town? Do we both have to agree on the date or something? How would the court know?

BL

yea I could not care less about the oath, we're talking about weed here not murder, that being said is there anything that I can do?

If I just deny that is was for something illegal, and she has no proof what would happen?

Also how would they stop me from scheduling it when she is out of town? Do we both have to agree on the date or something? How would the court know?
You expect that she will admit to you giving her 300 bucks for weed or whatever ?

Of course I guess the courts have heard it all .

As was said , if it comes out in court the matter will be dismissed , as both of you walk in with dirty hands .

Your the plaintiff , the burden of proof is on you .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">