• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced abortion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FJH2008

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Can a 17 year old be forced by her parents to have an abortion?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not legally, no. But they can apply all the pressure they want to get her to agree.

FJH2008

cbg, thank you!

My nephew called me this evening and said a friend of his is pregnant. She is 17, and is very upset because her parents told her that they CAN and WILL make her get an abortion. She knows that at 17 she is not ready to raise a child, but knows that abortion is not an option for her - she simply does not believe in it. She is struggling with her other choices - raise the child, or adoption. I had told my nephew that I was 99% sure they couldn't force her legally to get an abortion. I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again!

nextwife

They CAN, however, control whether she brings a baby home to live under THEIR roof, so she'd better figure out what will happen if she does carry to term. They can control where SHE lives. And HOW will she support that child?

Does she know that the father will have rights to co-parent his child if he files for those rights?

That she may, for at least the next 18 years, be limited geographically as to where she can live - that she cannot just up and move elsewhere in if there is an involved father, even if the man she wants to be with lives in another city?

That she will be legally tied to the father for at least the next 18 years?

That she can't rely on child support - because it is always possible something could happen and dad will not be around or able to CO-support the child?

That she is also responsible for support of the child?

Has she looked into making an adoption plan, as her parents have made it clear that this child will not be their responsibilty? Is the father agreeable? If not, does she realize that dad could have custody and she will pay child support?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually at the age of 17 for their child, in Ohio, parents are required by law to support the child. If they refuse to provide for the child they can be charged with neglect until said child turns 18. The 17 year old CAN contact CSB however if she feels her parents are abusing her by forcing her to have an abortion.

Also how old is the alleged father? If he is under the age of 18 when the child is born then HIS parents can be held financially responsible for the child support and pregnancy expenses related to the birth of this child.

nextwife

Actually at the age of 17 for their child, in Ohio, parents are required by law to support the child. If they refuse to provide for the child they can be charged with neglect until said child turns 18.
Well, if she's already 17, and only in her first trimester, then there won't be much time after birth that her parents will be responsible for support. So, for all intents and purposes, the vast majority of support will need to come only from her and the dad.

Legally, it's an interesting concept that people who had no part in the conception, or creation of the child, no say whether it was carried to term, and who may have even had surgery to eliminate the possibility of any other children should be financially liable. And further, it is interesting that , in essence, the support for younger siblings of the new parent should be reduced by having because older sib wanted to play mommy. WE often say say "Why should the support for those children you already have be reduced because you went out and had more kids?" Yet, support money available for younger sibs can get reduced because their sibling decided to go and had a kid.

We often hear: "If you don't want to pay support, don't do the deed". It seems that not even a decade of celebacy might protect a parent against suddenly needing to pay child support - and for someone elses child! One for whom they really have no legal rights.

Do they use the same CS formulas, only plug in each grandparents sets of income?

My hubby will be 69 when kiddo is 17. I wonder how much CS Ohio would expect from a retiree on SS and a fixed income with (likely) high prescription med costs, over and above what they are already spending to support their own child?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
We often hear: "If you don't want to pay support, don't do the deed". It seems that not even a decade of celebacy might protect a parent against suddenly needing to pay child support - and for someone elses child! One for whom they really have no legal rights.

Do they use the same CS formulas, only plug in each grandparents sets of income?

My hubby will be 69 when kiddo is 17. I wonder how much CS Ohio would expect from a retiree on SS and a fixed income with (likely) high prescription med costs, over and above what they are already spending to support their own child?

Yep they use the same CS formula and in put the grandparents income. They also give a credit of $3400 for each child you already have and are responsible for supporting. That happens when the CHILD paying support is a minor. If said child is 18 when support is instituted however then it is based on the "child's" income not the parents (grandparents).

nextwife

Yep they use the same CS formula and in put the grandparents income. They also give a credit of $3400 for each child you already have and are responsible for supporting. That happens when the CHILD paying support is a minor. If said child is 18 when support is instituted however then it is based on the "child's" income not the parents (grandparents).

Wow.

Since there are (potentially) four grandparents, and potentially four GP households, there would be four NC(Non)parents. Although, in my home, Grandpa was already deceased by then. So, do they impute incomes for unemployed or underemployed Grandparents? Is a retiree GP, for example, underemployed? If they are underemployed, do they look to the Step Grandparents income (wow, potentially yet another worksheet) . Are there four CS garnishments?

Just curious: if one's teen wants to add the expense of a car, or a ski trip or whatever, their mom and dad can insist they work to pay for it. Presumably, the same is true here? If a teen insists on adding the expense of a baby to their household, the parents can insist they work to pay PT for that added expense as well? Might as well get used to the idea, after all.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Wow.

Since there are (potentially) four grandparents, and potentially four GP households, there would be four NC(Non)parents. Although, in my home, Grandpa was already deceased by then. So, do they impute incomes for unemployed or underemployed Grandparents? Is a retiree GP, for example, underemployed? If they are underemployed, do they look to the Step Grandparents income (wow, potentially yet another worksheet) . Are there four CS garnishments?

Just curious: if one's teen wants to add the expense of a car, or a ski trip or whatever, their mom and dad can insist they work to pay for it. Presumably, the same is true here? If a teen insists on adding the expense of a baby to their household, the parents can insist they work to pay PT for that added expense as well? Might as well get used to the idea, after all.
The households that matter are the one where the mother lives and the one where the father lives. Those are the incomes that are normally taken into consideration. And yes you can make your teen work to pay for that expense as well. At the age of 18 it becomes the parent's responsibility.

CourtClerk

The households that matter are the one where the mother lives and the one where the father lives. Those are the incomes that are normally taken into consideration. And yes you can make your teen work to pay for that expense as well. At the age of 18 it becomes the parent's responsibility.
So you're telling me that if my son knocks up some chick in Ohio and lives to tell about it (cause I would kill him), then I could be forced to pay child support?

I have a really politically incorrect statement to follow, but I think I'll send it to you via email.

TinkerBelleLuvr

So you're telling me that if my son knocks up some chick in Ohio and lives to tell about it (cause I would kill him), then I could be forced to pay child support?

I have a really politically incorrect statement to follow, but I think I'll send it to you via email.
I'm thinking that chastity cup holders are in order!!

nextwife

I'd love to hear it so PM me too!

Because I believe firmly in holding one's teen fully responsible for making such a choice (actually I firmly believe children should NOT be raising children and that a lot of our social problems stem from the consequences of this, and our being "enablers" of this as a society), so I'd want my kid to make an adoption plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">