• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Advertising?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeoKubrick

I don't live in the United States, but you may be able to help.

A competitive gaming site advertised a tournament, and the prize money would be a 1000 euros, which would go to the winners. So, my clan entered the tournament on that information, and eventually they won the tournament. Now, the site, or more specifically, the person who owns the site won't pay, and he is ignoring attempts by my manager to contact him. What, if any, recourse do my clan have?

Also, what steps could clans take to guard against this in the future in the form of stockpiling credible evidence and establishing facts in a small claims court?

Thank you for any useful info. :)

[I didn't know where to post this and took an educated guess; so, apologies if this topic is incongruous to this forum]

HomeGuru

I don't live in the United States, but you may be able to help.

A competitive gaming site advertised a tournament, and the prize money would be a 1000 euros, which would go to the winners. So, my clan entered the tournament on that information, and eventually they won the tournament. Now, the site, or more specifically, the person who owns the site won't pay, and he is ignoring attempts by my manager to contact him. What, if any, recourse do my clan have?

Also, what steps could clans take to guard against this in the future in the form of stockpiling credible evidence and establishing facts in a small claims court?

Thank you for any useful info. :)

[I didn't know where to post this and took an educated guess; so, apologies if this topic is incongruous to this forum]

**A: even with your educated guess, it is quite apparent that you still can't read English.

NeoKubrick

**A: even with your educated guess, it is quite apparent that you still can't read English.
What part of this do you not understand:

"I don't live in the United States, but you may be able to help."

Which answers the initial question, but for the sake of your answering my query, I live in Washington state.

mlane58

OK--------How do you initally not live in the Unted States? then all of a sudden you now live in Wash State?

NeoKubrick

OK--------How do you initally not live in the Unted States? then all of a sudden you now live in Wash State?
Read: "for the sake of your answering my query, I live in Washington state".

I don't understand why they haven't answered my query, because I've already stated that I don't live in the US, and my query wouldn't be applicable to US or state law. I'm assuming that for legal reasons, they must know the state with which the query applies; therefore, I put down any old state for the purposes of getting advice and an informed opinion of what's what with respect to my query.

:)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Read: "for the sake of your answering my query, I live in Washington state".

I don't understand why they haven't answered my query, because I've already stated that I don't live in the US, and my query wouldn't be applicable to US or state law. I'm assuming that for legal reasons, they must know the state with which the query applies; therefore, I put down any old state for the purposes of getting advice and an informed opinion of what's what with respect to my query.

:)
We don't know the laws of your country...US LAW ONLY!

NeoKubrick

We don't know the laws of your country...US LAW ONLY!
Okay, I know that, but I would just like a general answer to my query - I'm not going to take action based on the advice given, just want to be informed if it's legal, and what actions to take to gather evidence to have a water-tight-duck's-arse case against other websites who advertise prizes and decline to send the prizes to the winners. I'm asking it here because you all read like informed individuals. So, if it helps you to answer it, I live in Washington.

Also leads me to ask what jurisdiction does the internet fall under - whichever country the owner of the site operates from? Hmm...I'll think I'll take the state of Texas for this question, Bill.

Zigner

How about this:
Don't join tourney's on web sites. If you DO join tourneys, consult a local lawyer (attorney, barrister, whatever) FIRST.

Then you MIGHT be safe ;)

NeoKubrick

How about this:
Don't join tourney's on web sites. If you DO join tourneys, consult a local lawyer (attorney, barrister, whatever) FIRST.

Then you MIGHT be safe ;)
And I had to declare a state to find this out? Not joining tournaments on websites isn't good advice, because that's where the majority of the competition is, and where you sign up for most LAN tournaments. So, you should try set up your own team and see how that works out for you. Why would I need to consult a local lawyer for basic information?

Either advertising that the winners of a tournament will win a thousand euros and reneging on paying the thousand euroes is legal or illegal. If it's straightforward illegal, then I want to know how to establish the fact that he/she/it falsely advertised. This shouldn't be specific to one state or several; I mean, falsely advertising is illegal across the board, right?

Zigner

Ok, one more time - US LAW ONLY. If you have questions about the laws in another country, consult local representation.

I'm done wading in the muck with you...

NeoKubrick

Ok, one more time - US LAW ONLY. If you have questions about the laws in another country, consult local representation.

I'm done wading in the muck with you...
If you feel that you need to project that you were wading in the muck with me, then feel free to project that self-serving perception. I prefer the cold and harsh reality of truth rather than buying what people sell. :)

If anyone wants to answer my query, I'll make it a hypothetical situation and the state I declare is Washington; so that it applies to US law.

racer72

I live in Washington state. Per the Washington state RCW's, you are not entitled to even sue for any reason because the activity is a violation of state and federal law. Online gaming or gambling is illegal, those that lose are out the money, those that win and are not paid have no legal standing. So, the answer to your question is, you can't do squat about it.

NeoKubrick

I live in Washington state. Per the Washington state RCW's, you are not entitled to even sue for any reason because the activity is a violation of state and federal law. Online gaming or gambling is illegal, those that lose are out the money, those that win and are not paid have no legal standing. So, the answer to your question is, you can't do squat about it.
I picked the wrong state then. :p

Online gaming is illegal in Washington state? So, which state is it not illegal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">