• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kicking a 17yr old Out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MSB_Airwolf

What is the name of your state? Texas

My 17 year old daughter will be 18 the middle of February. Me & my wife have had enough of her problems. She is stealing from us. She lies about everything, she wont do what we ask her to do. She thinks we are her Maid Service cause she wont even pick up after herself. We are so sick of finding dirty dishes & trash all over the house.

My question is, can we kick her out now or do we have to wait until she is officially 18. Also I believe she has some WARRANTS out for her arrest from some Traffice Tickets she did not pay. We thought about turning her in & then telling her she couldnt come home when she got out.

We just dont want to get ourselves in trouble as we also have a 5 year old that we dont want to endanger. We are scared she will try & retaliate against us whatever we do.

PLEASE HELP !!!!

:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To be absolutely safe, you have to wait for her to be 18. Legally you are responsible for her until then.

But on her 18th birthday, feel free to pack her things, put them out on the front porch and change the locks.

MSB_Airwolf

Well that is the plan. But she is getting WORSE by the minute. I am so FRUSTRATED I feel like I am going to EXPLODE. I know if she leaves, they wont force her to come home, so that is why I was wondering if I could force her out earlier. I know she will be spending 6 days in the local JAIL soon as she has capias warrants out & I am going to call them.....

:mad:

Just Blue

Well that is the plan. But she is getting WORSE by the minute. I am so FRUSTRATED I feel like I am going to EXPLODE. I know if she leaves, they wont force her to come home, so that is why I was wondering if I could force her out earlier. I know she will be spending 6 days in the local JAIL soon as she has capias warrants out & I am going to call them.....

:mad:
Sweet. Good parenting.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Sometimes, there are children who are SOOOO out of control that they do need tough love. I would hope that placing the child in inhouse counseling might be better though.

Just Blue

Sometimes, there are children who are SOOOO out of control that they do need tough love. I would hope that placing the child in inhouse counseling might be better though.
Read OP's other thread...Where he was advised he could not toss his minor child out. With RARE exception, children do not get to this point by themselves. Dad and Mom did not bother properly disciplining the girl when she was growing up and are surprised that she acts like an animal as an "almost adult"?? Pleeeese! In a few more years the little one will be doing the same!

What is the name of your state? Texas

My 17 year old daughter will be 18 the middle of February. Me & my wife have had enough of her problems. She is stealing from us. She lies about everything, she wont do what we ask her to do. She thinks we are her Maid Service cause she wont even pick up after herself. We are so sick of finding dirty dishes & trash all over the house.

My question is, can we kick her out now or do we have to wait until she is officially 18. Also I believe she has some WARRANTS out for her arrest from some Traffice Tickets she did not pay. We thought about turning her in & then telling her she couldnt come home when she got out.

We just dont want to get ourselves in trouble as we also have a 5 year old that we dont want to endanger. We are scared she will try & retaliate against us whatever we do.

PLEASE HELP !!!!

:confused:
I remember when parents used to want to help their kids. Ever thought about getting your daughter into a halfway house of some sort? Possibly a group home? Obviously the structure you put in place didn't work -- so now you want her out of the house and your life completely?

Take some responsibility, it's obvious where she got her lack of it from.

MSB_Airwolf

We have done counseling for years. You can assume what you wish regarding our parenting & such. We are past this. Right now our concern is;

1. Can we KICK her out before she is officially 18

2. We need to stabilize our family as we have a 5 1/2 year old we have to take care of also.

Does your daughter have a drug or alcohol problem? If so, consider putting her into inpatient rehab for the next month. While I doubt it's likely it'll help her right now, several years down the line the tools will have been put in place when she really does realize she has a problem.

I hated my parents at the time for putting me into in-patient rehab, but today I know it was a blessing. I knew where to go, and how to ask for help when the time came.

HomeGuru

We have done counseling for years. You can assume what you wish regarding our parenting & such. We are past this. Right now our concern is;

1. Can we KICK her out before she is officially 18

2. We need to stabilize our family as we have a 5 1/2 year old we have to take care of also.
**A: call the police and have them take her away.

xylene

Don't expect the easy "kick out" miracle on 18th birthday.

That's a laughable oversimplification of how that will go down, to the extent that is a cliche. :cool:

Enjoy a series of break ins (that the police will probably place a real priority on.) :rolleyes:

Heres a real plan.

Instead of waiting it out. USE THE POWER YOU STILL HAVE. ;)

WHY have you not called the police?

WHY does your child have driver's license to get tickets with?

Spare us your indignation and eagerness to abandon your flesh and blood. It would be laughable, except it is tragic.

You want to admit you have utterly failed as a parent, but not be questioned? Good luck.

HomeGuru

Don't expect the easy "kick out" miracle on 18th birthday.

That's a laughable oversimplification of how that will go down, to the extent that is a cliche. :cool:

Enjoy a series of break ins (that the police will probably place a real priority on.) :rolleyes:

Heres a real plan.

Instead of waiting it out. USE THE POWER YOU STILL HAVE. ;)

WHY have you not called the police?

WHY does your child have driver's license to get tickets with?

Spare us your indignation and eagerness to abandon your flesh and blood. It would be laughable, except it is tragic.

You want to admit you have utterly failed as a parent, but not be questioned? Good luck.
**A: good response.

MSB_Airwolf

She has a Drivers License cause she has had her good moments too. It took her a YEAR to get it as we would not allow her to get it until she behaved for a certain period of time. We had hoped that she had changed, but shortly afterwards things turned back bad again.

Yes we understand the possible problems. We are planning on having a TRESPASS warning issued against her when we kick her out. Also I work from home so I will be here a lot of the time.

We are desperately hoping that maybe a few days on the street will scare her straight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">