• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Correct Forms to File

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiffanyvolk

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I sued and won a judgement in Iowa. I wanted to garnish wages of the party I won against in Nebraska where he works. The Clerks office informed me I would need to fie an affidavit for foreign judgment, but they would not give me any assistance on how. I have filed an affidavit for foreign judgment in South Dakota, but I am not sure it is the same form in Nebraska.

I am a police officer, and I know everything we do, and every form we use is governed by policy or law. I know this is the same with judges and clerks that review affidavits of foreign judgment. The proper way to fill out the form has to be somewhere in the Nebraska statue or rules and regulations, but I can't find it. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

P.S. Asking teh clerks office for help does not work!

seniorjudge

Since you are a cop, go to the sheriff's office in the county where the bad person lives (or works) and ask the deputy in charge of doing this kind of stuff how it is done.

tiffanyvolk

I would have tried that if this were the county in which I work, however, it is not. Also, I am pretty sure they would be just as helpful as the clerks office, and they would not help me at all.

dcatz

This is a non-problem. Whatever you’re looking for will be a mandatory court form(s) in Nebraska. The clerk wasn’t being a boor. They are prohibited by law from giving legal advice. They can tell you that you need to file X form, but they can’t tell you how to complete it. Call a Nebraska court. Tell them that you want to domesticate a sister-state judgment and want to get the necessary forms. They’ll mail them to you for a couple of dollars, and there may be online sites where they can be downloaded. Ask and ask for the form name(s) and number(s).

dcatz

I'm sorry. There is one other thing that I might have mentioned: When you file whatever it is that you need to file, you will probably have to include a copy of the judgment that is either conformed or certified (both are done by the originating court but "certified" is a little more involved - in my own state, domestication would require two forms and a certified copy of the judgment).

When you talk to the Nebraska court, just say that you asuume that you'll also have to file a copy of the judgment and wondered whether it needed to be conformed or certified. That should give you all the information that you need. You'll have to get the conformed or certified copy from your own court yourself.

Sorry for the oversight. Sometimes, things are so routine that a step that would be obvious to you gets omitted as a result.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">