• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Woman wants refund for dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DesertDogs

What is the name of your state? California

We are a very small non-profit (applied for 501c, last month) dog rescue. We adopted two puppies out to a couple about 6 weeks ago and they returned the puppies a couple of weeks later, too much responsibility for them and whatnot. They signed a contract agreeing to the terms in which refunds were handled - only if the pup is ill (parvo, distemper, etc, something they got from our place) within 7 days. They wanted a refund then and when I agreed to meet them to pick up the pups, I told her to write up whatever she wanted. I picked up the puppies (from the husband), got them into my car (then locked my doors!), and then he presented me with this handwritten "contract" on a legal pad that I was to refund them the adoption fees PLUS the vet costs when they had their initial exam after the pups went home with them. Also states in my contract "no refund for veterinary fees....you accept full financial responsibility for the puppy..." etc etc. Only refund if the pup is ill, as I stated already. So I basically got PO'd and told him to tell his wife to shove that contract where the sun don't shine, since she was too cowardly to come with him to avoid a confrontation. This is after them threatening to send the pups to the shelter and whatnot, and her screaming at me on the phone about how what an irresponsible rescuer I was. I remained very cordial throughout the whole series of nasty phone calls that day, refrained from chewing her out, didn't cuss her out, didn't tear her a new one like I really wanted to. But at that point, I was just too upset, I was so worried she was going to dump those pups.

So...she calls today out of the blue wanting her refund. She shoots me an email saying that I signed her contract, which I didn't, and that she will take me to court over it. I said fine, do what you want, we don't owe you anything per contract, you threatened to endanger the pups, see ya in court, don't contact me again. I mean, what's the stinkin' deal, did the husband sign the thing to keep her from beating his behind?? Do I have to bring in a forgery expert or something to prove I didn't sign it? It's rediculous.

I'm ticked off that this is happening at all because this is the whole reason for a contract to begin with. Do I need to start having my contracts notarized or are the ones I have (printed, copied, and both parties sign, simple thing) enough? I've got all of the emails to and from her saved, are those qualified as evidence also? I want this woman off my back (the poor husband doesn't want any part in any of this). She is a manipulative and verbally abrasive woman, and I really can't handle this stress right now.

xylene

Either refund her money or return the pups.
Who are you ellen degenerest?

Tell em to shove it.

The people who reneged on the adoption have no case. Certainly not for the puppies, not for the adoption money, and especially not for any vet bill.

Just Blue

Who are you ellen degenerest?

Tell em to shove it.

The people who reneged on the adoption have no case. Certainly not for the puppies, not for the adoption money, and especially not for any vet bill.
Really? Not by the OP:

They wanted a refund then and when I agreed to meet them to pick up the pups, I told her to write up whatever she wanted
I picked up the puppies (from the husband), got them into my car (then locked my doors!)
So I basically got PO'd and told him to tell his wife to shove that contract where the sun don't shine, since she was too cowardly to come with him to avoid a confrontation
The OP can either refund the purchase price of the pups or give them back to their owners.

DesertDogs

They returned the puppies of their own will because they could not take care of them and threatened to dump them. No way in heck would they ever get their hands on another dog from my place.

And no I'm not Ellen (although I had to laugh at that!) ...I'm usually pretty reasonable about adoptions. But I did tell them whatever they wanted to hear to get those pups back here, however I signed nothing. The pups' safety came first.

xylene

She gave me several options.

The OP can either refund the purchase price of the pups or give them back to their owners.
OR the poster can wait for them sue and let a judge decide whether those facts amount to an agreement to a full refund, despite the existence of the original signed contract that specifically disallows any refunds for healthy dogs.

OR the failed dog adopters will find someone else to abuse, without it ever coming to court. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">