• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concerned Parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Washington

My 15 yr old daughter is being monitored until she is 18 for truancy issues. She is totally out of control. She is sexually active, smokes, and steals money from family members at any opportunity. She is failing in school and has been suspended in the recent past for having cigarettes. She comes and goes when she chooses and stays gone for as long as she wants with out letting me know where she is. She is disrespectful and rebellious and fights with her siblings constantly. Nothing I say to her makes any difference whatsoever.

She has been staying for the last two days at a boys house and doesn't want to come home. She wants to live with this 17+ yr old boy and his mother and several other young people. All I have is a phone number for this boy, not even an address. I called over there, I found the number on the caller ID and told her that she needed to be home before 9 PM or I would call the police. I talked to the boy, the mother was at work, and told him she was not allowed to live there or stay there and If she wasn't home I would call the police. She was home a little while later but left again when I went to sleep.
Is there something I can do legally to stop the other parent from letting my daughter stay there against my wishes?
Can I do a police report and report her as a runaway if she spends the night somewhere against my wishes or without me knowing?
This is not the first time she has done this, its a consistant problem.
Thank you for your advice.

Google "tough love" and then practice it.

Think:
Keyed deadbolts
Alarm system with door/window chimes (and lasso practice)
No cell phones or $... not even a penny
Relocate house phone to your bedroom
Severe consequences for behaviour... not pat on the wrist
If she is working... she quits or you quit for her
No friends, no visits, no calls, no web, no TV, no zoo trips, no tripping at all
Call your Juvie hall and file for Incorrigible child hearing... put her on a "probation"
Boarding school

mommyof4

While you're at it, feel free to remove her bedroom door, closet doors, all 'comfort' materials in her room, makeup, etc.

She needs a place to sleep. Nobody ever said it had to be PRETTY.

Leave her with the very basic in clothing, whatever reading material you deem appropriate, basic bedding and access to a bathroom.

In short, strip everything that is NOT essential out of her room and let her earn anything back one at a time.

racer72

Also, you both need to get counseling, her for the issues that are causing the disruptive behavior and you on parenting and life skills. If you would have done this at the first signs of the problems, you would not be in the situation you are in now.

BL

I don't know what they call it in your State , but they have a PINS ( person in need of assistance ) petitions here .

You might want to consider it , also .

Staying away from home for 2 days for a 15 yr. old is uncalled for without permission .

You should call the police for a runaway if it happens again .

Counseling is in order , I agree .

Tough Love , yes but don't push it to far right yet .

There was a 15 yr. old here just the other day , had an argument with Dad over video games , ran away , they found him , days later , he committed suicide .

Kids these days seem more sensitive to discipline .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">