• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is he an adult?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heather2

What is the name of your state? Texas and Alabama

My 17 year old boyfriend got in to trouble a few years ago and he is on parole until he turns 19. He got in to trouble in Alabama and I believe he is not considered an adult there but I'm not sure. His PO says he is an adult in Texas though. His grandpa had to go to Alabama to get custody of him though. He is considering moving in with me if he can. His PO is not sure if he can without me getting custody of him. I thought that once you were 17 in Texas you did not need a guardian. Does anyone know what I need to do so he can move in with me? He turns 18 in June but his family is upseting him so much I just want to get him out of there. It just kills me when he cries. Who has a hold of him Texas or Alabama? His PO doesn't seem to know anything. Any imput would be great.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My 17 year old boyfriend got in to trouble a few years ago and he is on parole until he turns 19. He got in to trouble in Alabama and I believe he is not considered an adult there but I'm not sure. His PO says he is an adult in Texas though. His grandpa had to go to Alabama to get custody of him though. He is considering moving in with me if he can. His PO is not sure if he can without me getting custody of him. I thought that once you were 17 in Texas you did not need a guardian. Does anyone know what I need to do so he can move in with me? He turns 18 in June but his family is upseting him so much I just want to get him out of there. It just kills me when he cries. Who has a hold of him Texas or Alabama? His PO doesn't seem to know anything. Any imput would be great.
Wait until he turns 18. Better yet, wait until he turns about 24 or 25. He is a child.

Happy Trails

You are talking about two different things. Just because he was tried as an adult in Alabama does not mean he has reached the age of majority.

Even if he wanted to try and get emancipated, it would take several months, and by that time he may already be 18 years old.

He stays put unless his parents give him permission to leave.

Last edited:

Heather2

Wait until he turns 18. Better yet, wait until he turns about 24 or 25. He is a child.
Whatever.:rolleyes:

People move out at 17 or 18 all the time. Or were you one of those losers who stayed with mommy and daddy until mid 20's? If you saw how upset they are making him and you cared for him, you would do everything you could to get him out too.

Zigner

Whatever.:rolleyes:

People move out at 17 or 18 all the time. Or were you one of those losers who stayed with mommy and daddy until mid 20's? If you saw how upset they are making him and you cared for him, you would do everything you could to get him out too.
Oh brother.

By my "mid twenties", I was married, had 3 kids, and divorced (getting sole physical/legal custody of the 3 kids, btw). By my late twenties I had remarried and adopted another child. I speak from experience. You speak from youthful ignorance.

Heather2

You are talking about two different things. Just because he was tried as an adult in Indiana does not mean he has reached the age of majority.

Even if he wanted to try and get emancipated, it would take several months, and by that time he may already be 18 years old.

He stays put unless his parents give him permission to leave.
Ok, thanks. That's all I needed to know. I doubt it makes a difference but he was not tried as adult there. He was only like 12 or 13 when he did it. I'll just keep bringing him to my place when I can. Thanks HappyTrails!

Zigner

Ok, thanks. That's all I needed to know. I doubt it makes a difference but he was not tried as adult there. He was only like 12 or 13 when he did it. I'll just keep bringing him to my place when I can. Thanks HappyTrails!
Enjoy your trailer...

Heather2

Oh brother.

By my "mid twenties", I was married, had 3 kids, and divorced (getting sole physical/legal custody of the 3 kids, btw). By my late twenties I had remarried and adopted another child. I speak from experience. You speak from youthful ignorance.
Well then according to your screwed up logic you were a child too and should have stayed home. Make up your freakin' mind.

The Occultist

Well then according to your screwed up logic you were a child too and should have stayed home. Make up your freakin' mind.
Um, that was his point. He learned a lesson, and was trying to pass it on to you so you didn't have to learn the lesson the same way he did. :rolleyes:

Heather2

Um, that was his point. He learned a lesson, and was trying to pass it on to you so you didn't have to learn the lesson the same way he did. :rolleyes:
Umm no I don't think he was trying to teach me a lesson he was just being a jerk. I didn't come here for a "lesson" anyway. So you're telling me he would be better off with a family that is making him cry every other day? We are very happy together and I'm the only one who cheers him up when they do this $hit to him. Ever since they started pulling this $hit his grades are slipping. I'm just trying to help him out. I love seeing him but this isn't for me. I want him to finish high school. His granpa is very old and isn't really there for him. He may die soon because he had a heart attack a couple weeks ago and he has a brain tumor. That brings up another question. If his grandpa dies what happens to him? He can not go back to Alabama because he has no where he can stay.

Happy Trails

Oh, I see.

However, there isn't any US state where the age of majority is under 18.

mommyof4

Oh good grief....

The juvenile delinquent of your heart is still a minor by TX code (and all other state statutes, for that matter). When he is 18, assuming that part of his sentence does not include his remaining in the custody of the designated guardian until his sentence has been served, he can move wherever he wants to go. Until then, his delinquent behind stays where his guardian tells him to stay. Apparently, that is not with you.

Getting pissy with someone because they give a valid response doesn't really help your cause.

By the way...it's not really that important that he is 'happier' when he is with you. Of course he is...he get's to be with his girlfriend. Well, life is a whole lot more than 'happiness'.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">