• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

duties of personal rep

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

repofauntie

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

Aunt died with no spouse or kids. No will so nieces nephews split estate. My question is there are several POD savings bonds to great nieces and nephews. Do I need to notice the great nieces and nephews or can I just wait until I close the estate and then give them the bonds?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

Aunt died with no spouse or kids. No will so nieces nephews split estate. My question is there are several POD savings bonds to great nieces and nephews. Do I need to notice the great nieces and nephews or can I just wait until I close the estate and then give them the bonds?
Where's that bond money right now?

BlondiePB

POD savings bonds are uncashed and in my possession. Some have not matured.
Thank you. POD accounts do not go through probate. The monies go directly to the beneficiaries (grand nieces & nephews). Provide the beneficiaries with a death certificate or means for them to get a death certificate and the info they need to claim their monies. If the beneficiaries are minors, either a Trust is set up or a guardian of estate (per beneficiary) with the court appointing a Trustee/Guardian.

If probate has not been opened, someone needs to do so. It will be an intestate probate case (without a will). Google your state's intestate statutes.

Last edited:

repofauntie

probate file

Probate opened. But should I hang on to the savings bonds until taxes paid so I know theres enuff $ for taxes or any other bills? I didnt list the savings bonds in file but didn't know when I have to give them to great nieces and nephews. They don't even know they inherited them yet.

BlondiePB

Did You Not Understand My Previous Reply?

Probate opened. But should I hang on to the savings bonds until taxes paid so I know theres enuff $ for taxes or any other bills? I didnt list the savings bonds in file but didn't know when I have to give them to great nieces and nephews. They don't even know they inherited them yet.
No, you do not hang on to the savings bonds. No, you do not pay any of the estate's taxes or bills with the savings bonds.

As a Personal Representative, you have a fiduciary duty to provide the beneficiaries with the info they require to claim their monies. That money belongs to them, not the estate.

Should the estate have any outstanding bills, etc. and no money, the estate is bankrupt. Then, you tell the creditors to bite rocks. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">