• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption Possible if Father is in Jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gordonfan24

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am currently pregnant and am looking into adoption because I currently have 2 kids that I am unable to fully support financially. The man that I am pregnant by might be in jail for a few years and might not even be there for the birth. I also know that he does not want me to adopt the child off because he wants to stay with me and raise the child together so he would never agree to give consent for me to do it. Unless he stays out of jail, I want to adopt the child off because I can't take care of 3 kids by myself. If he doesn't go, I would be happy in keeping the child with him because he is a good father and he is good to me as well. I don't know what to do, but I guess I'm asking what the law says about the mother adopting a child off even though the father, who might be in jail, will not agree. Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Nope. Dad would have rights once he establishes paternity to raise the child by himself and get child support from you. He would also have the right to allow someone to take care of the child while he is in jail.

Gordonfan24

NO ONE "adopts a child off" - Children are placed for adoption.

Extremely offensive!!
It's less offensive than aborting a child which in my eyes is murder and deserves capital punishment.

Poor choice of words I suppose. I didn't mean it to sound that way honestly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">