• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Youthful Offender and job application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fixbooks

What is the name of your state? New York

I live in New York State. In May of 1962, I was adjudicated as a Youthful Offender and sentenced to five years probation. I was able to have my probation terminated after three years. Also, I was informed that my charges would be expunged and my records sealed.

At that time my attorney, now deceases, informed me that on job applications I would not have to reveal the arrest or the adjudication information because I was not convicted of a crime.

Forty -five years have elapsed and I have not had any further incidents.
Recently, I had applied for a position as a Stock Brokers. I was surprised to find out that the background check revealed the presence of a criminal record. I guess the FBI plays by a different set of rules.

I have since retired and am considering a job as a bus driver in NYS. I am puzzled as to how to answer the criminal record question.

BL

If it's sealed and shows up , it might cause some trouble .

Depending on the crime , you may or may not want to take a chance and be honest .

The fact that your probation was terminated in 3 yrs, instead of 5 gives your character a point or 2 , I'd say .

Call a bus Co. and ask the general question saying your are thinking of applying , would it go against me ( without reveling who you are of course ) .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">