• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unoccupied vs. Vacant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

copester

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I'm dealing with a water loss on a home we are getting ready to put on the market to sell. We no longer lived in the residence. We moved out over 6 months ago. We stop by frequently and drive my multiple times a week - we only live about 8 blocks away. The utilities were still turned on.

I'm now dealing with the insurance company and their definition of unoccupied vs. vacant. They say vacant - we say unoccupied. We have "stuff" there. Stove, some furniture, some clothing, tools, supplies that we were going to use to fix the house up with.

In my policy the definiton of vacant reads: For a dwelling or other building, when it is empty, containing nothing of significant value.

I say since I still had items there, it is not vacant. Obviously my stuff has no 'significant value' to them, but it does to me. They have not officially denied the claim yet, but the adjuster's comments lead me to believe it will be.

Is there some way to convince them to change their minds, or does this sound like something I'm going to have to end up going to my state's Insurance Commissioner over and then possibly an attorney?What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">