• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Will in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HankReardon

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My mother recently passed away and did not prepare a will. My father is deceased and we are three siblings. We all know that her wishes were to divide the assets equally among us. All of her accounts have beneficiaries, but we want to pool the money into one account, pay any remaining debts and split the rest. We would like assign one of us the right (by the others) to handle all of the accounts, regardless of beneficiaries.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Last edited:

Dandy Don

If she has no assets to be probated, then probate is not necessary. Just keep accurate records of what you have done.

HankReardon

She did own a house, but the rest of her assets are spread across numerous accounts (checking, savings, IRAs, CDs, etc). I was wondering if we could assign a "Power of Attorney" or something similar now that she is gone. This way one person could handle all of the accounts quickly without having to consult with the beneficiaries.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">