• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my university change requirements after I'm enrolled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mark6226

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Suppose I'm enrolled in a specific degree program for several years. I'm so close to graduating, then a bunch of requirements are changed. The main one that affects me is that a new lab was added that didn't previously exist. It requires more credits, more time, more money. The department is forcing me to take it even though I was registered prior to the requirements.

My question is are they allowed to do this?

I wasn't sure where to post it, but this forum seemed more appropriate than the others.

Ozark_Sophist

The course catalog in the semester I started school was the "contact" I had to complete to obtain the degree. That being said, I do know of several examples where requirements were added that current students had to meet in order to get their degree.

One example was the nursing program. Students were required to pass a test that previously had been optional. If they failed, they had to repeat the foundation year until they passed (repeat dependent on space availability in the program). In this case, the requirement was a result of accreditation standards. After a large uproar when 1/3 of the students failed, the current students were grandfathered.

What is the nature of your program?

xylene

You need to meet with: IN ORDER

The department chair.

The college president

The college / university ombudsman

You need to keep every piece of paper you have relating to you degree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">