• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-roommate still owes money...no recollection of receiving?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

musicfire

What is the name of your state? WISCONSIN

I recently posted in this forum in December (if you fish through the pages, it's there "Roommate Owes Money - Small Claims Time")

I had a contract written out between him and myself, which we both signed, saying he would pay me the $340, in full, that he owed me by December 21st.

Well, the 21st came, he asked if he could have until the 27th. I said fine (given the holidays), and the 27th came and went. Couple days later I wake up and see $300 sitting on my dresser. I have no recollection of where it came from...but according to my girlfriend, who was also in the room sleeping the night before, said the guy who owed me money came into my room, gave me the $300 and said he'd give me the other $40 later. I don't even recall waking up!

So it's now January and he's pretty much moved all his stuff out (although he still has things here, which irritates me). Anyway, even if he did give me $300, he still owes me $40 -- broke the contract by not paying in full, and still owes me $80 for the Dec. heat bill.

I still have the original contract in tact, but do I have any options? Even if he did give me the cash, there was no receipt of sale. $80 + $50 = $130 that he still owes me... and I'm pretty sure there's no way he's ever going to pay that with his parking tickets, city ordinances, tow truck bills for the city, etc. - is there anything I can do?

Any help is much appreciated...

BL

What is the name of your state? WISCONSIN

I recently posted in this forum in December (if you fish through the pages, it's there "Roommate Owes Money - Small Claims Time")

I had a contract written out between him and myself, which we both signed, saying he would pay me the $340, in full, that he owed me by December 21st.

Well, the 21st came, he asked if he could have until the 27th. I said fine (given the holidays), and the 27th came and went. Couple days later I wake up and see $300 sitting on my dresser. I have no recollection of where it came from...but according to my girlfriend, who was also in the room sleeping the night before, said the guy who owed me money came into my room, gave me the $300 and said he'd give me the other $40 later. I don't even recall waking up!

So it's now January and he's pretty much moved all his stuff out (although he still has things here, which irritates me). Anyway, even if he did give me $300, he still owes me $40 -- broke the contract by not paying in full, and still owes me $80 for the Dec. heat bill.

I still have the original contract in tact, but do I have any options? Even if he did give me the cash, there was no receipt of sale. $80 + $50 = $130 that he still owes me... and I'm pretty sure there's no way he's ever going to pay that with his parking tickets, city ordinances, tow truck bills for the city, etc. - is there anything I can do?

Any help is much appreciated...
Why didn't you go fish for your old thread and post the link in this one ?

Wow , you ask for free advice and want us to fish as well ?

Ok , you were given 300 bucks ( don't be a jerk and try to get it again ) .

Ask yourself , is it worth your time , money and effort to sue , and will you be able to collect if you win ?

There's your answer .

musicfire

Why didn't you go fish for your old thread and post the link in this one ?

Wow , you ask for free advice and want us to fish as well ?

Ok , you were given 300 bucks ( don't be a jerk and try to get it again ) .

Ask yourself , is it worth your time , money and effort to sue , and will you be able to collect if you win ?

There's your answer .
Sorry, I had thought about continuing to post in the old thread, but I guess I thought it might just get overlooked...I apologize.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">