• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surrendering a Vehicle Upon Spouse's Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

friends424

New Jersey
My husband purchased a vehicle last year and has a car loan in his name only. He has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Upon his passing, what is my responsibility of his car loan? Can I surrender the vehicle back to the car dealer as there is a loan on this vehicle? I will not be able to afford the car payment. Please, what are my options?

JETX

My husband purchased a vehicle last year and has a car loan in his name only. He has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Upon his passing, what is my responsibility of his car loan? Can I surrender the vehicle back to the car dealer as there is a loan on this vehicle? I will not be able to afford the car payment. Please, what are my options?
His death will not terminate the obligation to pay his obligations. Repayment of any debts will be required from his estate before any distribution to heirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">