• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abuse vs. discipline

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HPunker

Let me start off by saying I am NOT an advocate for hitting children. We live in Georgia. My husband and 13 yr old step daughter got into a very hurtful argument last night. I couldn't believe that he DIDN'T smack her right across the face. When we grew up, you didn't dare say the things that came from her mouth last night. He picked her up and put her in the garage so she would cool down. After about 2 hours, it worked. When I told him that I was impressed that he could refrain from smacking her, he said that if he did that, he would go to jail for child abuse and that it wasn't worth it. IS THIS TRUE???
I thought child abuse was a continuous pattern...this would've been and one time smack. I'd like to know where the line is drawn between abuse and discipline.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">