• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possessions in a repossessed vehicle: Tennessee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nightlyt

We live in Tennessee.

My daughter had her vehicle repossessed and has quite a few belongings in the car. Does anyone know if the man who took the car back has any right to keep her things? Thanks in advance for any help.

We live in Tennessee.

My daughter had her vehicle repossessed and has quite a few belongings in the car. Does anyone know if the man who took the car back has any right to keep her things? Thanks in advance for any help.
No, a creditor may not keep the personal belongings in the car. If there was prior notice to the repossession contact the number you were given and have your daughter go pick up her stuff (or you can if you're a co-signer), if no prior notice was given you should be getting something within the next 3 days.

Hope this helps!

nightlyt

Thank you so much. I didn't think he could keep the stuff. There was no prior notice that he was going to take the car. She was out with our other daughter, went home and the car was gone. Needless to say she freaked out.

I will have her contact him and arrange to pick her things up, if he gives her any problem I will let her know to have a deputy go with her.

Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">