• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Furniture Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Phil111

I went into a furniture store in Virginia to purchase a couch. I put a $100 deposit on the couch. They informed me that the couch would not be ordered until half the amount was paid. I then, at a later date, decided that I wanted to purchase at a different store. So I went to get my money back. They had stated that I could only get store credit because "All sales are final" even though there was no sale because no goods or services were given to me, and the order wasn't even put in. There policy also states that I have 180 days until my account is terminated and I'm well within 180 days. Are they liable to giving me my money back?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Phil111 said:
I went into a furniture store in Virginia to purchase a couch. I put a $100 deposit on the couch. They informed me that the couch would not be ordered until half the amount was paid. I then, at a later date, decided that I wanted to purchase at a different store. So I went to get my money back. They had stated that I could only get store credit because "All sales are final" even though there was no sale because no goods or services were given to me, and the order wasn't even put in. There policy also states that I have 180 days until my account is terminated and I'm well within 180 days. Are they liable to giving me my money back?
My response:

There was a sale. All because merchandise wasn't available for delivery at that point, doesn't mean that they didn't sell a couch to you. Under the contract, they would still owe you a couch but for the fact that you no longer wish to purchase from the store.

However, at the same time, they cannot merely "spring" new terms and conditions upon you. Therefore, I need to know from you if there was a large sign in their store that said, "All Sales Final" ?

I also need to know if, anywhere on your receipt, was it written "All Sales Final" ?

Let me know.

IAAL

P

Phil111

There is a note on the reciept "All sales final" I didnt' realize that it was a sell even though I was just putting a lay away deposit down.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Phil111 said:
There is a note on the reciept "All sales final" I didnt' realize that it was a sell even though I was just putting a lay away deposit down.
My response:

Oh well - - now you know.

You either buy from the store, or you forfeit your money.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">