• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GA -- Which court to garnish in? State or Magistrate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cobbscout

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I won a lawsuit in the Magistrate court (small claims) in Cobb county where the defendant/debtor lives.
He works at a hotel in Fulton county for a national chain hotel.
The registered agent for the hotel is locate in Gwinnett county.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I've decided to garnish the defendant's work wages by having the registered agent served with the papers.
Why, you ask. Because Fulton county is more expensive and a pain-in-the-as@ to deal with about garnishments.

My question is: does it matter, when I file my garnishment in Gwinnett county, if it is in the Magistrate court or the State court? Is there a legal reason that it must be filed in State court and not Magistate? Maybe because the case was adjudicated in Cobb county and not Gwinnett (crossing county lines)?

Magistate court garnishments cost $71, while State court garnishments cost $103, in Gwinnett county. Why pay the extra $$ if I don't have too.

:confused:

sidney3949

Sate court

You will file in state court...I also won a judgement in Cobb and had to file a garnishment in fulton where the defendant works state court...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">