• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I fire my lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mikey&Abby

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I am very disappointed with the lawyer I hired. Did not even tell me that I have a deadline in filing inventory and appraisement when I specifically asked him about the matter. I did research online and found out that I could receive citation and could possibly be removed as an administrator. A lot of things have happened and I strongly feel that he's not working for my best interest. I've been doing a lot of research and thinking of maybe handling the probate myself. How can I "fire" my lawyer? At the courthouse, I was told that I should just basically fire him and he will withdraw himself. However I need to be sure that he's out of the case. How do I go on about this? Should I file something with the court?

Thanks!

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I am very disappointed with the lawyer I hired. Did not even tell me that I have a deadline in filing inventory and appraisement when I specifically asked him about the matter. I did research online and found out that I could receive citation and could possibly be removed as an administrator. A lot of things have happened and I strongly feel that he's not working for my best interest. I've been doing a lot of research and thinking of maybe handling the probate myself. How can I "fire" my lawyer? At the courthouse, I was told that I should just basically fire him and he will withdraw himself. However I need to be sure that he's out of the case. How do I go on about this? Should I file something with the court?

Thanks!
Send that attorney a very nice "Your Services Are No Longer Required" letter CRR & request an itemization of the services performed. Report the attorney to your state Bar.

Depending on the size of the decedent's estate is whether you do require an attorney for probate. You should find this info in your state statutes. Should you require an attorney, that attorney will prepare the paperwork for the court for the other attorney's termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">