• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pruchasing Items from an Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SunShineMD

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I recently purchased items from an estate. I was just informed that I had to return the items to the estate because the selling of certain items is being questioned/disbuted. Does anyone know if a lawyer can force me to return items or would this order need to come from a judge? (The personal representative of the estate did have written authorization from her lawyer to start liquiding the estate prior to selling the items.)

Thanks,What is the name of your state?

tranquility

If you were a bona fide purchaser for value, enjoy your stuff. If you had some relationship to the people making the sale, we need more facts.

SunShineMD

This is my uncles estate. My aunt, his widow, liquidated items to not only other family members but friends as well as strangers to the deceased. The ex-wife of the deceased, who is the guardian of his young children, is now saying the items should not have been sold even though her lawyer had sent the estate lawyer a letter stating all these items should be liquidated. Apparently, they have now changed their mind and want everything returned to the estate. The lawyers are telling the personal representatives that they must collect all items from all parties that purchased them.

SunShineMD

I don't know if it matters, but I forgot to mention that all items in the estate were purchased at the appraised price.

tranquility

You may have a problem. The appraised value may not mean anything on a particular item. Better would have been to purchase it in an auction. The opponent will have an argument you were not a bona fide purchaser for value. That does not mean he would win, it just means he could argue the facts. The fact finder will determine after hearing evidence from both sides.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">