• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step dad wants to adopt from dead beat dad...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emilydlovell

What is the name of your state? wa

ok. a little back story. I was married to my daughters dad for about a year. since we divorced a year and a half ago his visits with his daughter have gone from little to almost none. My daughter and I moved to Fl to be with my now husband who is military. He deployed and we came back to wa for the 4 months he is gone. Just to give an idea, her dad has made the effort to see her twice in 2 months. He was denied private visitation for almost a year since he was living with his brother in law who is a level 2 registered sex offender. I let him come see her whenever he wants. He just doesnt seem to care. He is the same way with his other ex who has a son with him.

my husband wants to adopt her, and I want him to. Her biological father is behind with me and his other ex for child support almost 4k combined, and working minimal hours so he doesnt have to pay much. what do i have to do? can i draw up paperwork saying he can still have visitation rights even if he signs away his rights? we would gladly give up the support money!!! ;-)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? wa

ok. a little back story. I was married to my daughters dad for about a year. since we divorced a year and a half ago his visits with his daughter have gone from little to almost none. My daughter and I moved to Fl to be with my now husband who is military. He deployed and we came back to wa for the 4 months he is gone. Just to give an idea, her dad has made the effort to see her twice in 2 months. He was denied private visitation for almost a year since he was living with his brother in law who is a level 2 registered sex offender. I let him come see her whenever he wants. He just doesnt seem to care. He is the same way with his other ex who has a son with him.

my husband wants to adopt her, and I want him to. Her biological father is behind with me and his other ex for child support almost 4k combined, and working minimal hours so he doesnt have to pay much. what do i have to do? can i draw up paperwork saying he can still have visitation rights even if he signs away his rights? we would gladly give up the support money!!! ;-)
In order to involuntarily terminate a parent's rights in a situation like this one, you would have to prove that the father has abandoned the child. You don't have the elements to prove that here. Just accept that.

Therefore, this could only happen if dad agreed to voluntarily terminate his parental rights so that your husband can adopt the child.

Personally, I think that you are way too premature on this idea. You have only been divorced for 1 1/2 years and you moved halfway across the country for a big chunk of that time. You may not even be married to your husband long enough for a stepparent adoption to be possible. Give things a few more years.

In any case, if you do decide to proceed, either now, or in the future, this is NOT something that you can handle without an attorney. It is NOT a DYI project.

Silverplum

Your posting history indicates this is your Ultimate Goal. And you've been given direction and instructions already.

VeronicaLodge

does your current husband understand all the implications of adopting? if he adopts and the two of you don't work out, he is officially, technically, and legally responsible for this child as if it were his biological child, including child support. is ready to be obligated to and responsible for a child that isn't biologically his if things don't work out with you? that is why you guys should wait until your marriage has solidified a little bit longer.

thats not really legal advice, just regular advice and probably isn't worth the "virtual" paper its written on! lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">