• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inventory list and waver of appraisal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daddydune

What is the name of your state? California, Riverside county.

Background: I am listed as executor in my mothers will. She is survived by her husband. There is a house that I live in that she is half owner, with the other half is in a trust. The trust divides into 2 childern from previous marrage plus myself.
The trust is not an issue as I have nothing to do with it except receive the payout.
I inherit her half of property outright.

Question 1: Do I have to list her personal property that her husband will inherit because he is surving spouse? Do I put a statement on the form for inventory like, "all personal property belongs to surving spouse per interstate succession"?

Question 2: With me being the only person inheriting from her estate (half the house is not in the trust) can I ask for a "waver of appraisal"? What's the point of appraising property that is not going to be sold and goes to one person anyway.

When do you file for the waver?
Thanks for your time.

daddydune

Thanks, I understand. What about inventory of personal items and house hold items? Is there a blanket statement to cover all that stuff that goes to the husband?

Again thanks.

tecate

Anything going to the surviving spouse is not subject to administration (probate) unless the surviving spouse elects.

See Probate Code Section 8903 for the waiver petition. It might be easier to let the probate referee appraise the property.

daddydune

I thought I had to at least tell the court that all the stuff went to the spouse. On the apprisal I was jut trying to save the fees or cost to have that done.

Thanks again for your info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">