• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued in small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apishapa

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Three years ago I had a car repaired after an accident. As part of the agreement the repair shop agreed to replace a bumper that was not damaged in the accident for an additional $250. He also agreed to repair a leaking transmission line as part of the repair job. He told me it would take three weeks.
Four months later I got the car back. I did not pay for the bumper at the time, because the paint did not match. In addition the transmission line was not fixed, which caused me to miss work, because the fluid ran out and the car would not move. Also, he connected the headlighs backwrds so that when I thought the dims on, the brights were actually on. I complained about the problems with the car. He agreed to take off $100 for the bad paint job and he agreed to fix the transmission line and connect the lights right. He never did.

I tried several times to get an appointment to get the repairs done, but he kept putting me off. I finally got rid of the car and figured we were done. But, he sent me a bill. I wrote back that he did not do what he agreed to, and I was not paying. Then we got into a dispute over a car he towed that I owned. As a result of this dispute, I filed a complaint against the business with the P.U.C. which is the authority that governs towing companies in Colorado. To resolve the dispute, I paid him $75, and he agreed to return that vehicle and he agreed that ALL business between us was satisfied.

Unfortunately, since it has been three years, I did not keep the letters we exchanged that outlined the agreement. I erased the email and correspondence between myseld and the P.U.C. as wells as the letters to the company because I thought this was over. Now, suddenly I have received a summons for a $250 bill from the business.

I need to know what to do: I have typed an answer. I don't know if I shuld countersue because he didn't ever complete the job. I thought the statute of limitations for auto repairs in Colorado was 1 year. Does this not count as auto repair?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">