• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate for simple estate in GA ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmmahr

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Can I go through Probate court for my Mom's estate without an lawyer in GA ?
Can we file all the paper work ourselves ?
She has a valid will from Massachusetts-the only things that has changed is her State of Residence (from MA to GA)

Her will and assests are VERY simple - only bank accounts and possessions. She give 20K to each grandchild and the rest will be divided equally between my sister and I.

We are just trying to perserve what she has without incurring large legal fees.

THANKS appreciate any input.

lwpat

The MA will is valid in GA if it was valid in MA. The clerk at the probate court can help you. You should be able to handle it without an attorney. Take the will and an original of the death certificate when you go to the court.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Can I go through Probate court for my Mom's estate without an lawyer in GA ?
Can we file all the paper work ourselves ?
She has a valid will from Massachusetts-the only things that has changed is her State of Residence (from MA to GA)

Her will and assests are VERY simple - only bank accounts and possessions. She give 20K to each grandchild and the rest will be divided equally between my sister and I.

We are just trying to perserve what she has without incurring large legal fees.

THANKS appreciate any input.
Look up your state's probate statutes (google search). You will most likely find the amount of the estate that requires hiring an attorney. The decedent's final bills must be paid prior to distributing monies to heirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">