• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do we have a leg to stand on?...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

psyrus

Is it possible to bring a class action lawsuit against the Department of Education? The reason that I am asking is because of the current situation regarding the recently former Computer Learning Center students, of which I am one. From what I have read the Dept. of Ed. has been investigating CLC for over 2 years now. This investigation and the actions of the Dept. of Ed. has lead directly to the current situation that students now find themselves in. If we were aware of such an investigation into the admissions practices of the school I doubt that we would have risked our future education on the school, at least until the matter was cleared up. While the school is responsible for not conforming to the Dept. of Ed's requirements, they would have to accept new students in order to operate. Since the school is in no position to remedy the situation at this time that they and the Dept of Ed have created and neither party gave fair warning on the current situation at that time, which was two years ago and the possible ultimate outcome of the investigation, do the students have any legal standing in bringing a suit against the Department of Education for not publicly warning potential students in this matter?

Thank you,
Chris

JETX

The answer to your question is a solid, MAYBE.

Anyone, who can convince a court into certifying class action status, can sue as class action. You would need to hire an attorney who is willing to take this on with that basis of understanding. That will be the hardest part of your attempt. Once you find the attorney willing to consider class action status, then you let him worry about the how and when.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">