• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 yr. old shoplifting alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juliaelizabeth

What is the name of your state? Michigan

im 16 and me and my friend went to meijers and attempted to steal 18 fifths...stupid i know but we had done it before.
we got caught and we were very cooperative and the cop didnt take us to the police station, he just had our parent pick us up.
me and my friend weree high off some pills when we did it so i dont remeber what the cop told us would happen..i just know we are getting charged with misdemeanor theft and an MIP. and since then i have had a runaway report filed..and i was just wondering what would my sentence would be..and if i will be able to do the diversion program.
basically any information will help.

quincy

A judge, at his discretion, can issue jail time if you have had a prior MIP conviction. If you are a first time offender (or at least caught for the first time), you can potentially get a break and not have a misdemeanor record, if you complete probation requirements. Michigan law provides for a discharge and dismissal for a first offense. There is a system set up through the Secretary of State's office for tracking first time offenders and the Secretary of State will retain a non-public record of your arrest, accessible to authorities only.

For retail fraud, there is also the possibility of a diversion program, if the alcohol you attempted to steal was less than $200, and you did not fight, struggle or resist the police or store employees when caught stealing, and you have no prior convictions or have not participated in a diversion program before.

With both the MIP and the retail fraud charge together, however, you may not qualify for the diversion program. Add to this the runaway report, and you will have some difficulty convincing the Prosecutor not to issue formal charges.

A retail fraud 3rd degree misdemeanor conviction for merchandise stolen with a value of under $200 can result in a 93 day or less jail sentence and/or a $500 fine (up to 3 times the value of the merchandise stolen), or a 2nd degree misdemeanor conviction with merchandise stolen worth between $200 and $1000, or a prior conviction, can lead to a $2000 fine (3 times the merchandise value) and/or one year in jail.

In addition, Meijer can bring civil action, with damages awarded against you of 10 times the value of the merchandise stolen.

Because you are under 17, your MIP and the retail fraud charge will be handled in Juvenile Court.

You may fare better in court if you are represented by counsel.

So, why are you getting into so much trouble anyway? It will not be long before you are considered an adult, and the consequences of your illegal actions will be a lot more severe. It would be wise to seek help now - Michigan jails are pretty awful.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Michigan

im 16 and me and my friend went to meijers and attempted to steal 18 fifths...stupid i know but we had done it before.
we got caught and we were very cooperative and the cop didnt take us to the police station, he just had our parent pick us up.
me and my friend weree high off some pills when we did it so i dont remeber what the cop told us would happen..i just know we are getting charged with misdemeanor theft and an MIP. and since then i have had a runaway report filed..and i was just wondering what would my sentence would be..and if i will be able to do the diversion program.
basically any information will help.
**A: congratulations, you qualify for the new juvie diversion plan. You will be diverted to Canada.

quincy

What was that horrible Tom Hanks movie, where he was trapped in an airport?

I can just see Juliaelizabeth trapped forever on the Ambassador Bridge - Michigan waves goodbye as she crosses over the Detroit River, but then Canada won't let a convicted alcohol thief in, and Michigan's border security refuses her re-entry. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">