• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stalling tactics to complete a Succession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pashabean

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My dad's Succession (over 2 years now) is being stalled by an ex-family member whose attorney continues to come up with baseless claims to the estate (that we prove false every step of the way). He then files oppositions to nearly every document we file to end the Succession. Last document he filed was a Petition absolutely filled with absurd claims causing us to have to go to trial. We have hard evidence against these claims and plan to use it in the trial, which was scheduled for 8 months later. Now, 2 months from the trial, he has filed an opposition to the trial date claiming that his client does not have enough time for Discovery for claims made in his own Petition. So now we have to have a hearing on this new opposition. Will a judge (based on our attorney's documentation) see this as a stalling tactic and allow us to go to trial on the orginally set date? Obviously, these monkey shines are not fun or funny. How long will a judge tolerate these kinds of machinations?

Thanks.What is the name of your state?

pashabean

Gosh

Is asking about stalling tactics and practices a taboo topic? Is there no help for those of us dealing with this type of unscrupulous, yet common behavior?

seniorjudge

Is asking about stalling tactics and practices a taboo topic? Is there no help for those of us dealing with this type of unscrupulous, yet common behavior?
No, but asking a question such as "How long will a judge tolerate these kinds of machinations?" will elicit a yawn or maybe a how the howdy should I know?

Anyway, tell your lawyer to get on the stick; sue the bad people for frivolous claims.

Dandy Don

Get an opinion about this by discussing it with a local Louisiana attorney, since it is likely that no Louisiana attorneys are reading this message board.

pashabean

thank you for responding

"No, but asking a question such as "How long will a judge tolerate these kinds of machinations?" will elicit a yawn or maybe a how the howdy should I know?"

Sorry. Just deeply frustrated about the situation. Thank you for responding.

"Get an opinion about this by discussing it with a local Louisiana attorney, since it is likely that no Louisiana attorneys are reading this message board."

My own attorney is trying... thank you for taking the time to reply.

legallyignorant

how long can he stall?

Check ur statutes...theres usually a time frame for how long a PR has to close an estate. Succession, probate where I come from, has to end in 3 years. They cannot go on indefinitely...hmmm and if u sue someone over it and the other side appeals....THEN it may go beyond 3 years since u r so close....better weigh ur options.....but always good to go review ur states laws and pretty easy to look up.

Silverplum

Check ur statutes...theres usually a time frame for how long a PR has to close an estate. Succession, probate where I come from, has to end in 3 years. They cannot go on indefinitely...hmmm and if u sue someone over it and the other side appeals....THEN it may go beyond 3 years since u r so close....better weigh ur options.....but always good to go review ur states laws and pretty easy to look up.
u btr lrn 2 wrt lk grwnp. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you actually call that LEGAL INFO? Really? If so: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">