• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suzuki SX4 Crossover/ AWD or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Point Man

What is the name of your state? California.
The 2008 Suzuki SX4 Crossover is promoted and advertised as AWD (All wheel drive) as standard equipment. This is plainly stated on the Suzuki website as well. This was one of the primary reasons for selecting this vehicle. We had seen one on display at a local shopping mall and it was the AWD feature that caught my attention. Serpa Automotive was the local dealer who had the vehicle on display. Please check available websites and search 2008 Suzuki SX4 Crossover; all will confirm that this vehicle is AWD standard only. The 2WD model is the SX4 Sport Sedan.

While at Serpa Automotive we test drove a 2008 SX4 Crossover and the AWD was touted as being one of the main reasons people have been purchasing them. The car we test drove was not the color we desired. The sales people then told us they had a white model in the showroom. We went and checked it out and it was indeed the color we wanted.

We decided to purchase the vehicle. Signed contract and worked out financials.

As I was preparing to drive off with my new vehicle I asked the sales person where the AWD switch was and was told "OH, this is the two wheel drive model." I stated that this was never revealed to us and that the brochures, sales pitch, and the owners manual in the vehicle all touted AWD as standard on the Suzuki SX4 Crossover. I was then told that is why this particular vehicle was sold at a lower price.

I had already signed the contract and worked out the financials so I concluded and it was implied to me that I got what I bought.

I continued to search on the internet and made several calls to other dealers in Southern California. Eight Suzuki dealers told me that a two wheel drive SX4 Crossover was not possible nor had they ever heard of a two wheel drive. All of those dealers stated that AWD was standard.

As I searched the internet I was able to find a few references to a 2 wheel drive model but these were all either Austrailia, New Zealand, or Canada.

I called American Suzuki corporate office in Brea, CA. They also told me that AWD is standard on this vehicle. When I provided them with the VIN# they told me that that number was not a valid number for the USA and was probably a Canadian VIN. They also told me that if it was Canadian, chances are that the warranty is not valid in the USA.

I did not get the 2008 Suzuki SX4 Crossover with All Wheel Drive (AWD) as it had been presented to me over and over. It was only after I signed the contract that I was told it was 2WD and I can state with certainty that that fact would not have been disclosed to me had I not inquired.
:confused:

Point Man

Suzuki Website re SX4 Crossover

This is from Suzuki website: Standard All-Wheel Drive
Engineered from concept to be all-wheel-drive capable while still delivering dynamic performance, the
SX4 Crossover features Suzuki’s Intelligent All-Wheel-Drive system (i-AWD), controlled by an
electronic control coupling device mounted in front of the rear differential. The in-console switch
allows the driver to choose the mode that best suits the driving situation. The 2WD mode dedicates
power to the front wheels for optimum fuel economy in high traction conditions. In AWD Auto mode,
up to 50 percent of torque is automatically apportioned to the rear wheels – without driver input –
when pronounced front wheel slippage occurs to provide four-wheel traction and help enhance
stability. The AWD Lock setting sends between 30 percent and 50 percent of power as needed to the
rear wheels for optimum traction in slippery conditions. At speeds above 36 mph, the system
switches automatically to AWD Auto mode for smooth cruising. Cars.about.com listed the SX4
Crossover in its ten “Best News Cars of 2007” partly thanks to this unique AWD system which, as a
standard feature puts the car ahead of the competition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">