• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canceling a timeshare membership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TDMonk

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Unless I'm misunderstanding the Consumer protection act in Tennessee, 47-18-5. I am able to cancel my timeshare membership within 3 days. I did what was required to cancel the contract and I have a certified letter receipt from the post office and an email from the post office showing the company received the certified letter. The company states I can't cancel the contract because I initialed the cannot be canceled box on the contract. According to the protection act rights of cancellation cannot be waived or surrendered, so the contract is not binding. Am I correct on this? I filed a complaint with the BBB but the business refused to cancel my contract and the BBB states there is nothing more they can do. What should be my next move. I live in Louisiana but the timeshare is in Tennessee.

Some Random Guy

When they sue you in court for not paying the fees, Use the termination letter and the listed act as your defense. You may want to have a discussion with a TN attorney to see if your interpretation of the law is correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">