• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old bottle of pills, big trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inperpetuity

What is the name of your state? Florida:mad:I am at a loss for words for what happened today. My 7th grader who is 12, wh, has never been in trouble decided to carry one of my purses to school today, which I was fine with. I did not realize that an old bottle of my pills were in there.She opened her purse near her locker and the school resource officer confronted her, took her to the office, and now she is about to be expelled. At this point I am told that I have two choices; first choice is Student Options for Success (SOS)
An alternative program designed for those students who have committed at least 7 class 2.0 offenses against the Code of Student Conduct. This six-session program focuses on anger and impulse control, communication skills, self-esteem, peer pressure, and goal setting. (2E, F). The program is for a few weeks and a parent has to attend. After completion my daughter will have "drug posession" on her permanent school record for 3 years, if she does not get in any trouble. However if by chance she gets into a fight in 9th grade 2 years down the line, for example she will be expelled. The other option is for her to go to an alternative school. I have my back against the wall, what can I do?

CavemanLawyer

Your best bet might be to hire an attorney. Many schools have a formal grievance process where you all can hash it out and having an attorney might smooth the whole process. These options that the school is giving you...is that after you explained to them that the pills were yours and that it was just a mistake? Are they taking a no tolerance approach to this?

I remember when I was in elementary school a friend of mine got suspended for brining an aspirin to school, and its only gotten worse over the years. I think school officials everywhere need to take about two steps back on these issues.

Some Random Guy

Unfortunately, schools have adopted zero tolerance policies with draconian penalties for even inadvertent infractions. As structured, most school policies are inflexible, making it hard for parents to force any changes. You could get a lawyer and fight this. But, since this is a slam dunk possession case with only her word that it was a mistake, the likelihood of success in reducing the penalty will likely be dependent on the type of drugs in the purse.

Were they anything that can be abused (painkillers, cold medicines, narcotics, ADHD medication, etc)?

inperpetuity

Old bottle of pills, big trouble

They were pain killers, I am a disabled veteran and it was an old bottle of muscle relaxers for back pain when I got home I saw that there were only 2 left in the bottle.

Some Random Guy

They were pain killers,
That's not good. It will be hard to get sympathy from the public or a review board. Once again, the pills were clearly on school grounds which is a violation. Review the school policies. Most do not require intent to bring contraband on campus, just its presence.

when I got home I saw that there were only 2 left in the bottle.
Or, viewed another way, there were 28 missing from the bottle. Not sure that helps.

As CavemanLawyer suggested, your only change here is to get a lawyer, but I don't hold out much hope.

dhawk52

I would get an attorney and fight it (but realistically you should be happy that she has not been charged with a felony, that would haunt her a lot longer than 3 years).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">